iFIX IGS driver to SLC slow communication

xetrov123

Hi,

I have an iFix server using the IGS driver connected to a AB SLC500 via ethernet. The SLC is connected to one Micrologix1500 over ethernet and 50 other micrologix1500's over a serial/radio network. We also have data being pushed from the iFIX server to a SQL server, 10 view nodes and now a new historian server. Engineering is installing a historian server system by OSI Pi.

I have been noticing slower communication to the SLC. The SLC is reporting many delayed transmissions over the ethernet. I recommended using the second network adapter on the iFIX server and make a separate connection to the SLC. IT is telling me that it will make no difference.

Any one have some insight on this type of system?

Usually a slow down in communciatons to a device means that you are increasing the number of connections to the device. They PLC has to share its communications time amongst all the connections and there for has less time per cycle to communiate wiht each one.

I the IGS the default poll rate is 100 msec as seen on the tags that are created. This is true for dynamically requested items as well. You can improve perfomance by slowing the poll rate of non cirtical data, i.e. data that changes infrequently. If you are using dynamic addressing,i.e. you request channel.device.N7:0 from the ifix data base then you can alter the update rate by appending a new poll rate to the request, i.e. channel.device.N7:0@1000 to set the update rate to 1000.

So this may help if the problem is between the server and the SLC however if it is betweent he SLC and the MicroLogix that is not something that can be improved from that side.