Different version of RSLogix5000

An additional thing to keep in mind when doing a processor upgrade flashing is it will likely require flashing of other modules in the control structure such as SERCOS, C-Net, D-Net and E-Net modules. These are just examples and not intended to be all inclusive.

This is not a difficult effort at all but does consume time and must be factored in when estimating the time required for the upgrade. Verify you have all required files before you start the upgrade process.

There is a compatibility matrix on the Rockwell site. Checking and downloading from the Rockwell site will help insure you have the latest versions of the needed files.

What's "brave" about tripping over a power cord ?

I have inadvertently proof tested the 1756-L6x firmware loading process and can confirm it works as described.

Always good to see your dedication to having all the facts, Ken :ROFLMAO:

As a brief tangent of sorts, my current understanding is that the "failsafe" firmware loading process came in on the 5370 Compact Logix PLC's and the L6 Control Logix PLC's. Meaning that 1769-L3xE, 1768-L4x, and the 1756-L5x (and earlier) PLC's should all be flashed with a cattle prod at the ready for anyone who tries to unplug your test lead in order to charge their phone, and anything newer I can go and put my feet up while it happens. Am I right? I, unfortunately, am not quite brave enough to do enough exhaustive testing to confirm my theories ;)

I have inadvertently proof tested the 1756-L6x firmware loading process and can confirm it works as described.

Never cornered into it - I know and teach the theory, but never actually tried it, shame really, it would be a good exercise, and confidence builder... thought about hitting the e-stop in the classroom once - there were 5 training rigs executing a flash upgrade of one of the controllers from v19 to V20, but realised it was too close to lunchtime....

thanks for the confirmation...

..... unfortunately, am not quite brave enough to do enough exhaustive testing to confirm my theories ;)

Pay my flights, a decent "per hour" rate, accommodation, meals and incidental expenses, and I'll be brave enough to do that exhaustive testing with your hardware... 🍺

As a mainly Siemens guy, I have to say that this firmware/rslogix matching seems to be a pain in the ***. On Step7 there is no need to match the version of step7 to the cpu. I know you can update the firmware via hw config should there ever be an update on the catalog. I've updated modules firmware before, but never a CPU.

Can an AB expert explain the reasoning behind this? It seems counterintuitive having to keep multiple versions of RSlogix if you have multiple plc's with multiple firmware versions. I suppose people just don't update one or the other if you work in a plant, but what about engineers that work with multiple firmware versions in the field?

That was only applicable to the L1 series of processors. Flashing the firmware was done during transfer, and if interrupted, could end up with a "bricked" processor. I once had to do this, on-site, and could only do it via the serial port (not recommended!!). I had the area roped off, RS232 plug retaining screws were done-up, and fingers crossed the power didn't go off, but about an hour later the new firmware was in the processor.

The L6x series and above use a different method for firmware flashing. The whole of the firmware is transferred into the processor's memory, checksum checked, and then the firmware is "flashed" internally.

Interruption of the download phase would result in the processor defaulting to the firmware stated on its label, e.g. 1.9, allowing it to be "flashed" again.

Well that's the theory anyway.... anyone feel brave enough to test it ??

I went through the same type of thing upgrading firmware on a 180K gallon ammonia system. I made sure the cable was good, the system was on a UPS and did it in my office with an old processor I found. Upgrade processor to new firmware. Update and move program onto temp processor. Swap out processors. Upgrade processor and download. Swap back out. Took me a couple days to do all the systems lol.

Older Versions of RSLogix 5000

If it were me, I would install versions 15, 16, 17, and 18 in sequence, and leave the CompactLogix at version 15 unless there was a good reason to change.

When you buy a new license of RSLogix 5000, you are entitled to install all versions of the software, and all versions should be on the DVD that was shipped to you.

What if you made a digital purchase? I purchased version 28 last year, do I still have access to older versions such as version 16.04?