CoDeSys Project Platform Ideas

ross1219

Hello All,
This is my first time here, and I'd like to get your ideas regarding a new project to upgrade an existing product line.
The existing application includes a PLC portion written in CoDeSys Ver 2.3, running on an embedded processor. I'd like to reuse a lot of this code, if possible, for the new project. The application also includes a local HMI and a remote browser interface that I'm planning on having to re-write.
I'm starting to investigate options for hardware and software, and I'd love to get your suggestions.
As much as is feasible, I'd like to use commerical off-the-shelf technology.
I've thought about trying to find a PLC that runs a form of CoDeSys, and then trying to import the existing CoDeSys project. I like the idea of having the reliability of a PLC.
Another thought is to run CoDeSys in a soft PLC on an industrial PC, and then connect to I/O through a fieldbus. This sounds like it might be a very flexible approach, especially when it comes to external communications via Ethernet, and on mobile devices, but I'm concerned about possible problems with uptime and with cost.
Do you all have any advice as I get started?
Thank you!
Ross

Lot's of choices for CoDeSys. I think you need to narrow it down by what you need on this machine. Is there motion required and is it simple or complex? Do you require a lot of analog signals? Are there large amounts of pnuematics? This should help guide you to a mfr. My first thought was Turck BL67 system with a Red Lion HMI. But if there is complex motion reqd this may not be a good solution. Try to narrow it down by whats reqd and then bring in a few distributors/factory reps from the mfr's and get their input.

Why not try the Codesys web site? It lists companies that use its products. The tree most common around where I work are Wago, ABB and IFM, but there are more than 100.
There is also the soft PLC option you mentioned, but this may need a bit of work to ensure reliability.

BTalbot, thank you for your reply. Good questions. Motion control is not required. We have one PID loop, but I'm thinking of moving it to the VFDs to improve performance. We need about 2 to 10 analog 4-20mA inputs, but no pneumatics. Digital inputs vary from about 10 to 30, and relay outputs from about 5 to over 100. There is one port for communication to the VFDs (currently Modbus RTU), and at least one Ethernet port to talk with the outside world. Does all of this bring any particular manufacturers to mind?
I'll check out the Turck, thanks. I've used their proximity sensors, but have not seen them mentioned for controllers in my searches so far.
Good advice on the reps. The Schneider automation folks are coming in today. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Ross

Thanks Doug Adam. I've been spending a fair amount of time on the CoDeSys web site. I'm not familiar with many of the European manufacturers listed there. Do you have any experience with the Wago CoDeSys controllers? I have had good success with other Wago products.
I am not easily finding the controllers that IFM makes. I've tried IFM sensors, but did have some problems.
Has anyone here actually tried the CoDeSys soft PLC option? It looks like it only runs on Windows. I'm used to controllers that commonly run for up to 10 years without any downtime. I have trouble imagining that kind of uptime on a Windows system.
Thanks for your time.
Ross

Kalle, thank you for the information. I'm going to call our Wago representative right now. Thank you for the link - I will start by taking a look at those models. Do you have direct experience with these systems?
Ross

I am faaaar from experienced (I'm a Step7'er).

But
I have used a 750-881, assisting a neighbour company. It worked good, but I learned that one should be careful with putting too much web visualization into it. We had quite a lot of code in the little unit (appx 20 motors, 20 VFDs, 30 valves, 10 PIDs, 10 more AIs). I am used to function block programming, so all object types had their own FB. I didn't check cycle times, but had a feeling it was quite fast.

We had serial Modbus RTU to the 20 VFDs on one unit, and logging data with ModbusTCP to a 3rd party SCADA. The webvisu grew too big and the visu was moved from the PLC to a PC.
===
On another occation we used ModbusTCP to some VFDs and a couple of dozen parameters were showed on the WebVisu.

Kalle

Last edited:
Kalle, Thank you for the really good feedback. Although we only have about 6 VFDs and 1 PID, we also need extensive web visualization and remote data logging. May I ask what SCADA package you used?
The WagoKurt videos were helpful in getting a feel for how the system actually fits together and works. The Wago people are coming in Tuesday, so I'll have better questions then.
Thank you very much for sharing your valuable experience.
Ross

Kalle, Thank you for the really good feedback. Although we only have about 6 VFDs and 1 PID, we also need extensive web visualization and remote data logging. May I ask what SCADA package you used?
The WagoKurt videos were helpful in getting a feel for how the system actually fits together and works. The Wago people are coming in Tuesday, so I'll have better questions then.
Thank you very much for sharing your valuable experience.
Ross

We used a SCADA called IGSS from www.7t.dk. I know it from before, it has very good and simple logging and curve display (and a free version "Free50").
This was picked first just to test the ModbusTCP comm, but the end customer was so satisfied that he bought a full licence and we left it there.

Kalle

Thanks Kalle for sharing that. I'm taking a look at IGSS. Interestingly, although I see that 7T is becoming Schneider Electric, Schneider is setting up another meeting next week to promote Vijeo Citect as their SCADA solution.
I also heard about Ignition by inductive automation from some other posts on this forum. It also looks worth investigating further.
Thanks for your helpfulness.
Ross

Thanks Kalle for sharing that. I'm taking a look at IGSS. Interestingly, although I see that 7T is becoming Schneider Electric, Schneider is setting up another meeting next week to promote Vijeo Citect as their SCADA solution.
I also heard about Ignition by inductive automation from some other posts on this forum. It also looks worth investigating further.
Thanks for your helpfulness.
Ross

I use Ignition and it is the best by far Scada that i have encountered.