Kinetix Drive question MOTIONVIEW

tubedood

Sorry for my first question not a PLC one but I am sure the next will be! I am having difficulty connecting to a Kinetix 300 AB drive with the MotionView browser interface. Laptop is windows 10, the cable is known to be good. Tried 4 browsers (FireFox, IE Edge and Chrome) and all start to connect then give an error about security and certificates. I will post the exact error as soon as I go try again tonight. Browsers are up to date regarding Java and such and I have fiddled with the settings regarding trusts and security. Any tips would be great!

Dale

The problem may be that you can't use the most up-to-date Java version for MotionView. I know Java 6 works with it and you may be able to get Java 7 to work but I made the same mistake that you described (putting the most recent version of Java (8?) on my laptop).
I've been unsuccessful getting it off and acquiring the right version.

Thanks for the tip PapaSmiff! I downgraded to Java 8.102 (several releases prior to the one I had originally installed) and all seems well. I tried versions 7 and 6 at first but they weren't working for me. So far everything looks good running the FireFox browser.
Dale

One more item that I needed to do in case anyone else has this issue was add my drives IP address to the securities exceptions list in the Java configuration application.

Dale

I ran into this problem today for the first time and thought I would share my solution. I was able to get things working with Java version 8, update 151 without downgrading to a previous version.

The java security settings must be modified first in order to run the MotionView java applet. This can be done by running Notepad in administrator mode and opening the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151\lib\security\java.security. Change jre1.8.0_151 to match the most current Java installation on your computer. Remove references to MD5 and MD5withRSA from all lines that include ...disabledAlgorithms...
Skip the lines starting with # as they are just comments. Save the file and attempt to run MotionView again.

I don't run Java on my host laptop, but rather in a Hyper-v client as there are too many security holes in Java. Editing the security settings in this manner opens Java up even further, so proceed at your own risk. It would be best to keep the original security settings file and replace it after configuring the drives.

If time and production allow, it would also be better to update the drive firmware.

Been away for a while...

tubedood: Happy to help and thanks for the point about the IP addresses.

Adam13: You have given me insight into a problem that's been nagging at me for a while now. Thank you.

Motionview

So is java 8 -151 the 'latest' version Motionview will run with? Does AB not have patches or updates that will allow it to work with newer versions?

Also, no help from AB or vendors - is there any info anywhere for the Motionview parameters? The manual barely mentions them (velocity limits, v & p gain numbers, etc) but doesn't explain what they are or how to use them.

Funny you should ask... we are right this moment upgrading all of our PLC firmware to V30 and we might upgrade our Kinetix drives to V2.003. This hopefully will allow us to use a newer version of java to access the Motion-View. I have been using Ubuntu Linux with the Motion-View due to our corporate policies regarding Windows having the latest and greatest java installed. Hopefully it will. The MV software is pretty decent and has some good built in tools.

Well, fortunately, I'm not having connection or run problems, but I have other questions and it's painful finding answers online...so I'm just figuring this thing out. I have a simple PLC program running what amounts to 2 indexes and I'm just jogging the actuator in and out. I notice if I remove my maintained input, the thing stops dead in its tracks. Lets say I want to stop it mid-travel and reverse it, without it jerking...what's the best way to set it up to do this? I'm using - and can only use- discrete inputs (indexing).

I've tried several java versions. I'm Windows 7 Pro running java version 5.0.22, MotionView Onboard works without doing any changes to the security file. Soon as I try on windows 10 I'll post the results.

I have tested the Kinetix 300 on windows 10-java 8.151 after upgrading the firmware to the latest version it worked just fine.

Keep downgrading the java version until you find one that allow to comunicate with the drive then upgrade the firmware to the latest.