Looking for a Profibus Master Simulator

pwrmac7100

Hello,

I have a GE RX3i rack that has a profibus slave card with a built-in DB9 connector (IC695PBS001). I need to simulate a profibus master that can read/write to the slave card in the PLC. I understand a few industrial protocols, but not profibus.

I believe this product will do everything I need, but at a price of $900 it seems a little overkill - Anybus p/n 017505 (PROFIBUS-DP/DPV1).

Can you anyone point me to another option that might be more affordable? I see that DB9<>Profibus adpaters are around $50/ea --- just no software.

Lastly, if my profibus master comes with a DB9 connector - do I really need to convert it to the purple cable and then back to DB9? Or can I just connect the DB9 master to the DB9 slave?

Thanks in Advance,

Josh

Hi Pwrmac,

Welcome to the forum!

I have been looking for something similar, just a slave simulator. And have been unsuccessful so far.

That being said, you could use any profibus master device, since the slave doesn't really care what it is talking to.

Simulators are generally pretty expensive, as they are usually specialized niche product. $900 actually isn't that bad.

I agree with boneless, though, it'd probably be simpler to just get another PLC to act as the master. Then you can program it to do whatever you want. If you are familiar with the GE PLCs, see if you have an extra that you could repurpose. If you need something new, an S7-1211 and a Profibus card from Siemens (plus software) might be cheaper than the simulator you saw.

Those are generally used for connecting the purple profibus cable. Often with built in termination resistor.

These are the ones from Siemens.

Not sure how to get around using those? Keep in mind that PROFIBUS has a minimum cable length of about a meter between nodes.