Robotics

rbbalaji

R
Hi Guys,

I have just joined the automation industry and am interested in learning about ROBOTICS. In our plant they use Robots for material handling in mold machines. If anyone can suggest some good place where I can gather some information starting from the basics, it will be very helpfull. Thanks. And another question though I think it is dumb, do robots have plc's in them, if not what do they have as the controller. I think we will be using RANGER robots.
Bye,
Balaji

Robots

I only have experience with one kind of robot.
Intelligent Actuator
I know that these robots do not use a PLC, but use there own proprietary software. It is extremely easy to use, and quite powerful.
Any Robot can be connected to a PLC to complete an entire automated system.
Good Luck!
George Bradley

rbb,

And another question though I think it is dumb, do robots have plc's in them, if not what do they have as the controller. I think we will be using RANGER robots.

Most robotic applications have plc like capabilities. They have a main processing unit just like plc's do and I/O's for you to hook up field devices to. The "logic" or instructions are either in the programming steps or are running in the background in a macro. A macro is nothing more than a plc like program that gets scanned and performs various functions. Although, a macro or also called a sequencer file, is not near as advanced as a plc. Your usually limited to what you can do and it becomes a little difficult to troubleshoot a macro.

If you’re looking to open up a robot controller and find a "normal" looking plc you will not find it. What you will see is usually a main or motherboard, servo drivers or amplifiers,I/O cards or sequencer boards, servo power supplies, position control boards and some other things. I think we have debated the issue on the differences between a robot and a plc before. Some here might go into more detail then I have about the makeup of both the plc and the robot. I'll just stick with the basics, as it seems you’re early on in your robot training.

I've never heard of Ranger robots, so I cannot tell you anything about them. What I can tell you is that when you get your grasp on one particular brand, you usually don't have a problem on other brands. I'm no help to you on where you can get literature on robots.
I've seen some in the past, but were usually outdated or did not go into industrial applications. Robot companies will give you plenty of information if you'll only buy a robot off them. The manuals and some schooling is where I learned. Sometimes you will have to threaten your robot supplier to get any advanced literature on there robots. They want you to have to call them, so they can charge you big bucks.
Call Ranger and tell them you would like to have some literature on there robots. If they refuse to give it up then go with another supplier. BTW, they will not release all their information, so don't expect too much, and this tatic will not work if you've only got one or two Ranger's.

Good luck,
Tim

If you need information about interconnections between the press and robot (handling device), check out EUROMAP. Specifically EUROMAP 12 which describes the standard electrical connections.

Parts removal robots usually use some form of a PLC, though many don't use "name brand" PLCs. They're usually custom designed. I'm not familiar with Ranger robots specifically. I've done a lot of work with Harmo, Sepro, and Hekuma equipment and a few other brands. Hekuma was the only one that used a "name brand" PLC (Siemens), but that was because it was a complete high-speed removal system including downstream assembly and packaging.

beerchug

-Eric

Thank You eric tim and gbradley for your suggestions. I guess I am going to ask Ranger for some literature. But before that I will start to read about servo power supplies and drivers and sequencer and everything. What should I ask Ranger, if they ask me to be more specific. I am really new and I will be getting trained shortly. It is just out of curiosity that I am asking these questions so that before I get trained I can be somewhat familiar with the background cs it is difficult for anyone to tell you everything espescially when the time is short.
Bye,
Balaji

Rbb,

What are your responsibilities? Are you in charge of the teaching, maintenance or both? How many robots we talking about? How many axis on these Rangers? What manuals do you have for the Ranger robots? Usually you'll have a teaching and a maintenance manual at the least.
Is this Rangers home page? http://www.rangerautomation.com/history.htm

If it is, it looks like their history does not go back very far, so I'm not sure how good or how up to date they are on technology.

I would only worry about the functions of all the parts that make up the controller. What do they do? What are their responsibilities that make up the controller? I would doubt that your company would wait on you to take a servo amp apart to see what’s wrong with it, so don't bother with it. I know some pretty big robot suppliers and have worked with them long enough and don't for one second think they're going to come to your plant when you have one of those Rangers down and start pulling boards and checking things with an oscilloscope. "IT’S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" Robots and electronics are very rarely repaired this way. Bench level technicians are becoming more and more extinct.

What they do is change out every board that has to do with your problem until the problem ceases to exist. Be prepared to have spare boards on hand, so you don't have to pay them a $1000 to come and swap out a board. This kind of troubleshooting is widely used when you deal with robots.

Rbb, there is a lot to learn with robotics, but be sure you stick with the basics and move on to other things as you progress. I will strongly suggest that if your only involved with the maintenance part that you absolutely learn how to teach the robot as well. Even if you have to do this on your own time, believe me learn how to move the robot and get it to run practice programs. There's nothing more frustrating then having to work on a robot and not even knowing how to manually move the darn thing.

Tim

Re: Robots

gbradley said:
I only have experience with one kind of robot.
Intelligent Actuator

These things ROCK! I love them to pieces. However, they need to beef up the safety standards on the SCARA product....it kind of scares me sometimes. I've used IA SuperSel to control ALL the automation without the use of a PLC. But now that I've programmed just a little bit of Visual Basic, I am kinda of taking a liken to Yamaha's SCARA robot because the language to program Yamaha robots is just like BASIC inside, which makes it easier to understand than IA Sel language to me.

Oh well..I've wandered off topic....sorry about that...

Since someone has brought up intelligent actuators has anyone had trouble getting information from them? I've made 3 requests on their website for a manual for their SEL-E/G Controller with no response. All our manuals are in japanese. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask questions here. I am sure either me or George Bradley can help. Or I can give you the number to my local IA rep and he will rattle some chains for you.

(maybe start a new topic about your problems)....uh er...since I went off topic with my post.....

gbradley,
In order to download a file from their website you have to register and they send you a password. So far they haven't sent me a password. I don't really have any specific questions about them. We have a few at work and as a maintenance tech I'm responsible for them and I just like having information when I need it ya' know. I'll give their website a try again. Thanks.