RSLogix 5000 Installation of Firmware

Joel201

Good day,

can someone shed me some light because i am currently confused regarding the installation of RSLogix 5000 software and it's firmware. I am going to use the AutoFlash of RSLogix 5000 to install a firmware so when i installed the RSLogix5000 it let me choose what firmwares i want to install so i check the box of the version 19 and continued the installation and verified that the installation of firmwares are complete then finish. Now i decided to just install all the firmware version that is why i run the rsLogix 5000 setup again and skip everything until i got to the firmware selection page then i saw that the version 19 firmware has a comment that it is still available for download i thought it should be already installed on the comment cause i have checked it for installation the first time i installed the RSLogix 5000 i am now confused if it has been installed and can be loaded to a PLC i currently have no access to the PLC now that is why i can't test it yet. Thanks for your help guys.(y)

Regards,
Joel

Ok here is what i am saying i run the rslogix 5k setup again to install another firmware version and when i run the setup i saw which was on the picture attached that the version 19 is still available for installation but on my first setup i have selected it to be installed. What worries me is that when i try to download a firmware to the PLC and then finds no firmware available to download using autoflash. Thanks

Regards,
Joel

Untitled.jpg

Greetings Joel ...

I'm probably going to learn something new here – but what do you mean by trying to use the "AutoFlash" feature? ... personally I've NEVER heard of that feature before ...

I just did a quick read-through of the Help information for ControlFlash – and found where you can indeed write a batch file which can be designed to (sort-of-kind-of) "automatically" process multiple controllers ... is that what you're trying to set up? ...

I've NEVER seen or heard of that feature being used ...

personally I can't imaging anything much scarier than running a batch file to cycle through a list of my processors and automatically start "flashing" the firmware ... that's the type of thing that I like to take care of myself ...

anyway, I just tried looking through my ControlFlash installation (which works) and I couldn't find ANYTHING which would tell me exactly WHICH systems – and versions – that are currently loaded on my computer and which are "ready-to-go" for flashing a processor ... (I might be missing something – but a list of "what's loaded" was NOT obvious) ...

now then ...

if I start up ControlFlash and "drill down" to a processor which is currently running on the network – then (and only then) – was I able to get to the screen shot shown below ...

regarding your comment:

i currently have no access to the PLC now

as near as I can tell, that means that you're not going to be able to determine exactly which versions of Firmware are currently available on your computer ... maybe some other member will be able to shed some light – but I'd be willing to bet (pocket change only) that you're going to have to wait until your processor is available in order to REALLY test this stuff out ...

sorry I couldn't be more helpful ... good luck with your project ...

controlflash.PNG

Last edited:
Ron,
My ControlFlash has a "View Inventory" button that lists the firmware that is installed on the computer. It's on the 2nd screen.

thank you danny.michael ...

what version of ControlFlash are you using? ... mine is version 11.00.00 – maybe that's my issue ... there is no "inventory" selection tab like the one you've mentioned ...

well ... I'll try to update my version as soon as I get a chance (things are pretty hectic around here lately) ... I've been just downloading whatever firmware that I've needed on a case by case basis – and the old version of ControlFlash has been working OK (at least on the flashes that I've been doing) ...

looks like this is my "learned something new" for today ... thanks again ...

Joel201's "AutoFlash" procedure, is, I believe, implemented in RSLogix5000 when you start to do a download.

Instead of just complaining that the firmware of the processor doesn't match the file you are downloading, you can let the system Flash the processor (and any other modules in the system as necessary, such as motion modules), before the download takes place.

This can be a useful feature for setting up new systems, or where you have had to replace a module, or where you have deliberately decided to change processor revisions, perhaps to use new "features". It is not something you will be doing on a regular basis.

Sorry For the Late Reply..
I was referring to AutoFlash which i saw in the RSLogix manuals where they say there are 3 procedures of installing firmwares which are through ControlFlash, Using the CF card, and Auto Flashing where it said that i just need a proper communication between the laptop and PLC and when i download it will prompt me to download a new firmware. my question was if i use the auto flashing method do i need to install firmwares which can be chose when installing rslogix 5000. But i just remove that confusion now as i have downloaded a firmware using the Autoflash the firmware will be automatic depending on what rslogix version you are using. hehehe thanks for you replies:site: