PowerFlex 525 comm issues

stretch_af

Bear with me for a moment. So an issue came up this morning, one of our pumps wasn't running. I plug into the processor (5069 ver 31), the PowerFlex 525 (communicating via Embedded Ethernet) is being sent a speed command of 6 HZ, but isn't running (yes, 6 HZ, not my design). I right click on the drive in the project tree and select properties, but I get a Path Spicing error and can't see it's parameters. Off line I can see the parameters. I open RSLinx, I can see the drive in my Ethernet/IP driver but I can't get to device properties. I can't even see the drive over the more generic Ethernet driver. I use the 1203-USB and connect to the DSI port on the drive and successfully connect and go online with the drive with CCW. By this time the drive fixes itself and is working properly and is doing what the PLC tells it to.

So right now, our system is working, but I still can't connect to the drive over Ethernet and its bugging me. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Thoughts? Comments? Confused?
Thanks
Justin

The first thing I would do is ask if anyone plugged anything new into the network that might have produced a duplicate IP address.

Unfortunately the next suspect is the logic module for the PowerFlex 525 itself. "Stop communicating over CIP and then just start working again" isn't a firmware/configuration failure mode that I'm aware of.

Do you happen to recall if there was a yellow triangle/exclamation point in the I/O tree for that drive when you went online with Studio 5000 ?

Bear with me for a moment. So an issue came up this morning, one of our pumps wasn't running. I plug into the processor (5069 ver 31), the PowerFlex 525 (communicating via Embedded Ethernet) is being sent a speed command of 6 HZ, but isn't running (yes, 6 HZ, not my design). I right click on the drive in the project tree and select properties, but I get a Path Spicing error and can't see it's parameters. Off line I can see the parameters. I open RSLinx, I can see the drive in my Ethernet/IP driver but I can't get to device properties. I can't even see the drive over the more generic Ethernet driver. I use the 1203-USB and connect to the DSI port on the drive and successfully connect and go online with the drive with CCW. By this time the drive fixes itself and is working properly and is doing what the PLC tells it to.

So right now, our system is working, but I still can't connect to the drive over Ethernet and its bugging me. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Thoughts? Comments? Confused?
Thanks
Justin

The 1203 might just be the owner of the drive. You might need to change ownership of this in the 5069. Been there...

Since you said that you went to the USB connector on the drive and after you pulled it back off the drive that the powerflex 525 is working now.

This sounds like either the faceplate or the drive faceplate was loose to the drive. I have had this issue a lot with commissioning drives where the faceplate, ethernet connector, or faceplate to power module is either loose, misaligned, dust contamination, or a bent pin.

Make the 2 flashing lights on the faceplate are flashing. I think 1 stays steady but the other flashes, which indicates that the drive is communicating.

Also are you using shielded RJ45 for the drive? Non shielded causes the drive to drop communications intermittently. Is the ethernet cable not in 480vac wireway, etc....?

Since you said that you went to the USB connector on the drive and after you pulled it back off the drive that the powerflex 525 is working now.

This sounds like either the faceplate or the drive faceplate was loose to the drive. I have had this issue a lot with commissioning drives where the faceplate, ethernet connector, or faceplate to power module is either loose, misaligned, dust contamination, or a bent pin.

Make the 2 flashing lights on the faceplate are flashing. I think 1 stays steady but the other flashes, which indicates that the drive is communicating.

Also are you using shielded RJ45 for the drive? Non shielded causes the drive to drop communications intermittently. Is the ethernet cable not in 480vac wireway, etc....?

On the 525 it separates the control module and the power module so that's the only connection. When the control module is connected to the power module the USB port can't physically be accessed. I think he was connecting the serial DSI connection by using the AB serial to USB cable (anaconda cable) which is the 1203-USB in this case.