Softlogix 5800 PLC always fault Issue

DenZ_P

Hello Experts,

Need help with Solft Logix 5800. I successfully downloaded my program in slot 2 controller and slot 1 controller. But my Slot 1 controller is having fault issue and i cannot go online with it. Slot 2 controller i can go online. Whenever i try to clear the fault and try to put in run mode the slot 1 controller it always goes to fault.

Softlogix 5800 rev20.01 (CPR9 SR5) is in Windows XP Professional v2002 SP3 virtual machine.

Please help! Thanks!

Softlogix.JPG

Really hoping that was a joke!

Right-Click on the controller in slot one and change the mode to PROGRAM, then change to RUN, then change to PROGRAM. That should clear the fault.

Let's see if it reappears.

OG

Haha. I was also surprised when drbitboy commented on that. I think he was joking.

@Operaghost even coming from program mode to run mode it always faults. The PLC fault can be cleared. Main issue is that PLC program cannot go online even if the PLC is on program mode. Just as when you put the PLC to run mode it instantly faults. I tried to put in different slot but still the same.

What i have found out now is that when i try to download a different PLC program it doesnt have any issue. But this PLC program can go online in Physical PLC with no problem.

I am not an expert in Softlogix, but I am surprised if it can work in a virtual machine.
Did it ever work before in a virtual machine ?
If it did, did something change ?

It is important to go to Program ==> RUN ==> Program. Do not go back to RUN or even REMOTE. Keep it in PROGRAM and then attempt to go online so you can capture the fault code information.

And Jesper, SoftLogix runs in virtual machines. I have it in VMware VMs for years.

OG

EDIT: I'm wondering if maybe there is a conflict with RSLinx Enterprise (now called FactoryTalk Linx). Usually you see RSLinx Classic and Enterprise each taking a slot in the chassis. I see Classic in Slot 0. Enterprise defaults to slot 1. We aren't seeing it, which could be an issue since the slot 1 controller is there.

Last edited:
See above post ^ ^ ^ ^

To change the slot # in the virtual chassis for the RSLinx Enterprise (now called FactoryTalk Linx), follow these steps.

1. Click the Start button
  2. Locate the FactoryTalk Administration Console (All Programs\Rockwell Software in Windows 7)
  3. Select the Local directory, not the default Network Directory and click OK
  4. At the bottom left of the screen click Communications
  5. Right-click on the 1789-A17 Backplane and select Properties
  6. Note the slot # listed here. If it is 1, then that is probably the problem.
  7. If Auto Configure is selected, deselect and Click OK. I always click OK without changing the slot yet. Past history!
  8. Reopen the Properties window and select the slot # in the virtual chassis where you want the RSLinx Enterprise module to be located. Look in the virtual chassis and pick an empty slot.
  9. Click OK to make the change.

Once you do this, you should see a new module appear in that slot. If the fault on the controller won’t clear after this, restart the (virtual) machine. The fault won't clear itself, you hav eto manaully clear it.

OG

And Jesper, SoftLogix runs in virtual machines. I have it in VMware VMs for years.
I thought it would be a problem since the softlogix VM then depends on that the host hands over priority to the VM.
How fast can the softlogix controller update its IO, and is it deterministic ?
What if the host gets a blue screen ?

I thought it would be a problem since the softlogix VM then depends on that the host hands over priority to the VM.
How fast can the softlogix controller update its IO, and is it deterministic ?
What if the host gets a blue screen ?

I haven't ever used it in production environment. Just for testing and training. But in those environments I never had an issue with update speed. I almost always used the default dwell time (10ms IIRC).

I used to teach training classes and we usually would have two controllers running in each PC. We did have an issue with the old PCMK cards casuing blue screens in Windows 7 but those were not functional in VMs. Apart from that one issue, I can say that we never had a host blue screen since we moved from XP to Windows 7 (and then to W10).

But, a host blue screen crashes everything immediately. The soft controller treats it the same as a physical controller losing power while in RUN mode.

OG

I am not an expert in Softlogix, but I am surprised if it can work in a virtual machine.
Did it ever work before in a virtual machine ?
If it did, did something change ?

Hello JesperMP,

Nothing i could think of. Plus the softlogix was running fine before in VM and same program is being simulated. I do have a copy of the VM from a later date. That is just what im using right now. I just deleted the Softlogix VM that's having an issues.