RSLogix 500 ver 5.20 bug?

chakorules

Anyone else notice this?

I have my program saved on the hard disk, and then I'll go offline to make some changes. Once I get my changes done, I forget to download the next time I connect to the PLC, but I hit the "Online" button once I've opened my "changed offline copy".

RsLogix 500 ver 5.20.00 did not detect that my offline version was different than my online version in my PLC and it let me go "online". Ofcourse my offline changes are not viewable "online"....but here is the KICKER.....once online, if you disconnect from the PLC or try to close RS Logix, RS Logix 500 asks you do you want to save and upload data tables. I did this, and ofcourse all my offline changes I just made previous to going online had been lost because the now online copy in the PLC will over write the offline copy on my hard drive. Lucky for me I had a backup copy.

I don't remember this happening in the past verions, in previous versions of RS Logix, I was always warned if the online copy did not match the offline copy.

Is this a feature I need to enable now in version 5.20.00 or is this a bug or what? I've been able to recreate this problem three times in a row as described above. Let me know your feeback.

Hardware specs:
SLC 5/03
Windows 2000 Pro SP1 (dell)
Rslogix 500 ver 5.20
RsLinx 2.30.02 build 79

tough

Tough luck, dude.

This happened to ME, and it cost me
2 days in the field...

Here's the lesson:
Always have a good idea of what's in the
machine, and what's on your laptop.

Whenever they're different, you will have
a bunch of fun on your hands, trying to keep
things straight.

One hint: Make a separate directory for
each revision of the code. I do this in the
field, since I can go back to the hotel room
at night, and re-create the day:

Give 'em cute names, and keep track of the
revisions in your field notebook.

directory/ meaning
\1017am_1 first thing this morning
\1017_b4lun before lunch
\1017_asl as left on site.

Thanks for tips. But I did have backup(s) so I was set.

I was trying to get out of people if this was a bug or a problem with RS Logix. Because I know in previous versions this was never an issue. It always warned me of different copies local than on PLC.

So when you said this "happen to you". Did you mean you did the same thing? Had a different copy offline that you opened, and went online with your PLC. Then when you disconnected, you were asked to save and upload data tables which over wrote your offline copy correct?

Any way...hoping to get to the bottom of it..bug? my problem? or a setting in the new version of 5.20?

too many rungs ago

Chako:
Too many rungs ago to remember. I can tell you
that I was genuinely confused, and I had a helper
with me who was as well.

What I try to do, especially in the field, is just
keep good notes, and good copies of everything.

I learned this when I did an OMRON project many moons
ago, using LSS software. LSS, if you don't know,
stands for Lose Some Sleep. :)

If you are able to file a bug report with AB, AND, if
the ever respond to you, reply that on here as well.

You know, BTW, that RSLogix 500 is up to version 5.50.00
now.