Micrologix 1100 using an older OPC server to Labview...

frenchy

Micrologix 1100 <-> Lookout Protocol Drivers v4.5 <-> Labview v7.0

Hello all,
I am helping a local company to use their existing seat of Labview v7.0 to talk over Ethernet with a new Micrologix 1100 PLC. We were hoping to use their existing OPC server that came with Labview (circa 2000) so that they do not have to purchase a new OPC server. Their Labview package is the "NI Developer Suite Professional v7.0 Control Edition" which comes with a "DSC Module" which contains an OPC server called "Lookout Protocol Drivers OPC Server v4.5 (build7)". This software came out several years before the Micrologix 1100 was born, but OPC is supposed to be a cross-platform, cross-generation standard isnt it?

So, when I set-up the OPC server, it asks me which type of PLC I have and the only choices are AB_Logix (Micrologix 1500), AB_PLC2, AB_PLC5 (15 different flavors), and AB_SLC500 (5 different flavors). Can I use one of these that might be similar to the ML1100? I definitely want to use ethernet, not serial.

My application is just reading and writing a couple of variables from/to the Binary, Integer and Float data storage locations approx once per second.

Does anyone see a problem doing this without having to upgrade the OPC server to something that "officially supports" the ML1100?

Thank you very much!!
frenchy

Just an additional comment for clarification... Shouldnt I just be able to pick one of the PLCs that have Ethernet communications (like the SLC5/04)? The data files that I want to access are the same in both the ML1100 and the SLC arent they? Like the F8:5 location, which I need to read and write to approx once per second.

I tried it and it gave me a communication error. Is it because the addressing notation has changed slightly or because the ethernet communication is fundamentally different?

BTW, I got the RSLogix Micro for $150ish. I wonder if Kepware has a scaled down OPC server for just the micro series? Should I look toward a new Kepware OPC server or keep trying to use the old version that came with Labview?

thx,
frenchy

There are two Ethernet protocols used by Allen Bradley PLCs. The oldest is typicially known as AB Etherenet. This is what the SLC 5/05 processors use (and possibly PLC5).

The other is Ethernet/IP. It is an open protocol used by the ControlLogix platform and newer versions of the SLC 5/05 processor (along with many other products).

I'm not sure if the ML1100 supports the AB Ethernet protocol. My first guess would be that your ML1100 only talks Ethernet/IP and your OPC server only talks AB Ethernet.

Thank you for your response Archie. I think you are exactly right. The old OPC server is not talking the right Ethernet/IP required by the ML1100. I am looking into either buying the Kepware OPC server for $800 or buying RSLinx with OPC server for $500 or learning to use Siva's VIs which will talk with the ML1100 without an OPC server. (Why dont I just consider running that expensive AB serial cable and forgetting Ethernet??? hmmmm...)

Thanks again from a newbie,
frenchy