What's the difference bet AB PCMK'S?

miker

I've been watching ebay for pricing on used AB PCMK A/B cards. Since I would like to have my own setup, (maybe get a better job someday!), I need to find the best value. It would be used mostly for DH+ (5/40's), or for direct hook up with 5's or the last 2/30 in use in my plant right now. What is the difference between the A or B styles, besides the size of the connector attachment to the card? Also, the computer I would be using for this currently has Win ME loaded. Would I need to run a different OS, (98, 95, other?). Any input appreciated...One day maybe I can answer the questions! Thanks...

As per usual for AB, each PCMK card needs it's own cable. I have series B don't know why I inherited it but it makes lifre a lot easier.

miker,

not only is the size of the connector different but the "B" series connector has some latches to hold it into the card so that it won't come out while in use. Bad part of that is if someone trips on the cable your laptop may get jerked to the ground. I've read that the "B" also does RIO but I have not been able to figure out how to use it.
Windows 98,2000 or XP. I got mine on E-Bay for $800. I have both & I like the "B" a lot better.
BD

Ya gotta love it...

Thanks for the replies so far...this site is great! Keep em' coming, every bit, (or byte) helps! Thanks again, "miker"đź“š

bikerdude said:
... I've read that the "B" also does RIO but I have not been able to figure out how to use it. ...
You need software that can make use of it - SoftLogix5 would be one such package.

Both answers are right on; the 1784-PCMK/A has a wide, latchless connector that is unique to the -PCMK. The 1784-PCMK/B has a narrower latching connector that is much more commonly used on modem and Ethernet cards, as well as on the 1784-PCD and -PCC. In fact, I always have to check my toolbar to see what I have inside before I plug a dongle in !

1784-PCMK/A only supports DH+ at 57.6 kb/s.
1784-PCMK/B supports DH+ and 57.6, 115.2, and 230.4 kb/s.

There were a few applications that could use the 1784-PCMK/B as a RIO scanner but that's extremely uncommon.

If you are using PLC-2's and Windows ME, a -PCMK/A will do what you need.

Ken Roach said:
Both answers are right on; the 1784-PCMK/A has a wide, latchless connector that is unique to the -PCMK. The 1784-PCMK/B has a narrower latching connector that is much more commonly used on modem and Ethernet cards, as well as on the 1784-PCD and -PCC. In fact, I always have to check my toolbar to see what I have inside before I plug a dongle in !

1784-PCMK/A only supports DH+ at 57.6 kb/s.
1784-PCMK/B supports DH+ and 57.6, 115.2, and 230.4 kb/s.

There were a few applications that could use the 1784-PCMK/B as a RIO scanner but that's extremely uncommon.

If you are using PLC-2's and Windows ME, a -PCMK/A will do what you need.

Ken, IIRC my RSLinx does not show 115.2K baud as an option for the B version.