Oil and Gas Hydraulic Interlocks

jawad rasool

Dear All,

It is a bit irrelevant question for this forum but I've not get a satisfactory answer to my query.

""When a Oil well is bored and a Production tube is installed, then Methanol is injected to the annulus (Empty area between the well walls and Production tubing) to provide a Hydraulic Interlock for avoiding Oil to seep from production tube"

Why only Methanol is used???
Which parameter plays the role to select Methanol?

you are right - not on this forum
But
the idea of a barrier to both detect and prevent leakage would be the reason.
I am guessing that Methanol will not react with Crude Oil
where as other fluids may explode

Why only Methanol is used???
Who says that only methanol is used between the outer well casing and the production tubing? From the little I know about oil wells, depending on the circumstances and pressures, other fluids are used, including various types of cement, salt water, and muds.

Packer Fluid n: a liquid, usually salt water or oil, but sometimes mud, used in a well when a packer is between the tubing and the casing. Packer fluid must be heavy enough to shut off the pressure of the formation being produced, and should not stiffen or settle out of suspension over long periods of time, and must be non-corrosive.

Last edited:
Methanol seems a good choice - easily made transported and handled. Fairly low freeze point so wont freeze easily in storage tanks. Water soluble so it can "extract" water from oil
If it gets into the product it burns also.

Dan Bentler