1783-NATR FTP woes

passwordg

We started using a 1783-natr device on several machines, but only for going online with PLCs and Proface HMIs.

We also have some Fanuc robots I want to connect to via FTP but all FTP connections get denied, as if the requests get blocked by the natr. It works when going directly through the switch.

Someone was able to make this work in this thread by changing port settings but didn't elaborate how !

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=753178

Apparently you can set custom rules for specific ports but I can't figure out where!

Any help please ?

EDIT:

Solved!

This is where the settings are: (See attachment)

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:
Are you sure the "Fanuc Robots" can accommodate the "FTP" protocol?

The FTP protocol is usually on port 21.

You would have to forward port 21 to the IP address of the Fanuc Robot in the 1783-Natr.

This is just the basic's as I don't know anything about either.

Interesting, I was just dicking around with a NATR and noticed it blocked pings. I wonder if you could allow pings to get through this way?

Ping uses the ICMP protocol and most routesr block that from the WAN because this is how "BOTs" find your "Internet IP" address.

Once your Internet IP address has been found, you would be asking for trouble.

Standard FTP and FTPS protocols are Bi-Directional and multiple connections are made during transfer and these connections are initiated by both the client and the server and this can be an issue with NAT when traffic and ports have to be pre-defined.

You may be able to set up your FTP in passive mode PASV in which all connections are initiated from the client to the server only on defined port ranges.

SSH FTP or SFTP is the best way to FTP files when using NAT as the way things work under the hood are much more accommodating to NAT if your equipment supports it.

Are the default gateway addresses of the Fanuc set to the private port address of the NATR?
As far as I know this is essential for these NAT routers.