GSV Usage

golftmd13

I'm still fairly new to PLC's and I've gotten the basics down but I wanted to see if anyone has insight into what you can use GSV for in terms of general information about the PLC and how its running.

I strongly recommend reading the help files. You can access it by right clicking on the instruction, and clicking Instruction Help.
You can use it for getting system data like PLC serial numbers. I only ever used it for getting system time.

I strongly recommend reading the help files. You can access it by right clicking on the instruction, and clicking Instruction Help.

+1

There are many more uses for the GSV than just time clock data. One example: I use it a lot with PF 525's (we use a lot of 525's) for collecting fault data.

Time/Date is probably the most common, but you can use GSV/SSV to change module properties in code as well. I use them to do a manual brake release on Kinetix Servos, also use it to modify homing parameters via code. Also use it to check the connection status of EIP field devices, and to Inhibit modules that are frequently disconnected from the system to keep them from showing faults on the cpu.