What software for Siemens PLC

passwordg

We have a Simatics S7-300 PLC in our plant we want to go online with. Could I please get help with what software we need to order ?
I don't have full knowledge but I believe TIA portal is too overpowered for this ?

Also, would anyone in the Greenville-Spartanburg, SC area know who the local Siemens distributor is ?

Thank you.

I don't have full knowledge but I believe TIA portal is too overpowered for this ?

Thats the first I have heard too powerful :)

You have two choices for the 300's Step7 TIA Pro or Step7 V5.6, I would go for TIA but thats just me... JRW has offered the best advice because you need to get to know your local Siemens rep, most of them have classes

In TIA Portal not all of the old S7 CPUs are supported. If you want to support all possible S7-300/400 devices, then I'd go with Step7 v5.6.
In our company we general program all 300/400 devices still in Step7 5.6, and TIA only for 1200/1500 and new HMI devices.

Did you get any PLC project from the original vendor of the S7? Then check if the project is done in TIA or in Step7 5.x. and buy the same version.
Of not, it'll not be easy to troubleshoot the program at all, as you'll see only the online program without symbols and comments.

Did you get any PLC project from the original vendor of the S7? Then check if the project is done in TIA or in Step7 5.x. and buy the same version.
Of not, it'll not be easy to troubleshoot the program at all, as you'll see only the online program without symbols and comments.

Ultimately, this is the best advice. Get the original project, open the project in whatever version of software it was built with, and then go online with the PLC.

You won't be happy with what you get if you just walk up to an S7-300 and upload.

You won't be happy with what you get if you just walk up to an S7-300 and upload.

We had a bunch of large S5's (3 racks each system) and no matter what if you tried to go online all it would say "Comments Truncated" and it was nothing but a guessing game after that, lucky I worked on them for about 15 years so I knew them and most if the I/O, I hated that software (S5)

We had a bunch of large S5's (3 racks each system) and no matter what if you tried to go online all it would say "Comments Truncated" and it was nothing but a guessing game after that, lucky I worked on them for about 15 years so I knew them and most if the I/O, I hated that software (S5)

I've *fingers crossed* never worked on an S5 system myself, but I know the 300's made all tagnames and comments disappear if you don't have the project.

I'm really glad that things have gotten to the point that the newer PLCs not only include tagnames and comments in the upload, but also can include them in multiple languages. ... IF you have exactly the right version of Portal....

I've *fingers crossed* never worked on an S5 system myself..

To make it worse they were wrote in STL and could not be converted... it made for some long nights but I did learn a lot by having to troubleshoot that system, they also had drives made by AMK Drives, they had embedded S5 processors in them but they were wrote in ladder so it made them a little easier