CLX5000 Software, 7 CD's!!! Help!

ian.smith7

Hi Everyone,
Ive just started working in a new bakery, most of the Plc's are Allen Bradley which I am not very familiar with. Ive installed RSLogix500 and backed up all the programs from the SLC500's. There are also 2 CLX5000 Units in seperate machines each one connected to it's own Panelview using ethernet. I have a box of Cd's Containing the software for these units but before I install it I'd like to be sure I understand what all the different software programs are for and whether I actually need to install them. RSlinx Classic is installed & working OK on the laptop. I have spent some time reading PDF's from the AB site and This is what I think I need.

RSLogix 5000 to program, download and upload to the PLC.

These I dont Need.

RSNetWorx For Ethernet, Controlnet or Devicenet. These are network management tools and since the PlC's are only Connected to one Panel view each (via ethernet) It would be pointless installing it.

This I'm not sure about.

Drive Executive Lite is a servo drive interface for the CLX software. One of the plcs is connected to an AB two Axis servo controller (not sure of the model) via a fibre optic (serpco?) module. Is this needed to communicate with the servo unit either via the PLC or plugged directly into the servo controller? Or does RSLogix5000 need it to address the parts of the PLC program related to the servo drive?

I also have a copy of Drive Explorer. Which I think is used to store, upload and download Inverter (& servo?) parameters.

Any Corrections or additions to the above would be helpful.

thanks ian.

You can do every thing you need with the two servo drives over SERCOS from directly within RSLogix 5000 WITHOUT loading the other two packages. The servo parameters are actually stored in the ControlLogix. If it was a standalone drive that you were communicating over deviceNet with you would need to get a backup of the drive parameters, but when you use SERCOS all the parameters are stored in the related axis tags.

Thanks for the reply dash,
So although the servo parameters are stoed in the plc tag database and would be saved with the plc program, if I did want direct communication Laptop to servo I would need to install the drive executive module?
There are 100+ AB inverters on site which is what I think the drive explorer is for.

ian

Drive executive is useful for working with most if not all allen bradley variable speed drives. It allows you to monitor and edit paramters from a laptop instead of a keypad. You can save and load paramter files also. The Lite version has limitations, like I think you can't open an offline file, but the files can be opened, printed, and compared as text files.

Look around for powerflex, 1336, or 1305 drives. Even the 8720 spindle drives, and a bunch of others are covered by this software.

Also, with the RSLogix5000 software, there are add-ons for STL and FBD languauges, that you'll need if those types of programs are running. There are something like 7 different versions of RSLogix5000. Some include those add-ons, others don't.

I wouldn't bother with RSNetworx either unless you are using it for I/O somewhere. You can always install it later if needed.

Definitely use Drive Executive. You'll need a variety of cables to match your variety of VFDs and a serial port on your laptop.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply Okie,
There does seem to be alot of different cables to negotiate. Luckily for me I read in this forum that not all RJ45's on allen bradleys are ethernet, before I broke the works laptop!

ian