You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 11th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #1
JZerb
United States

Windows 10 1903 VMWare issue?

So my host machine which runs Windows 10 is wanting me to upgrade to 1903 OR ELSE. When the machine tires to update it gives me an error saying that VMWare will not run on the updated OS so i need to fix that first before updating. Then i go online and see that VMWare Workstation Pro any version under 15 JUST DOESNT WORK on this new Windows 1903 update, not really new i think it came out around May.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #2
VAN
United States

I don't have my workstation with me so can't check versions but...

My host is updated to the latest updates and the 4 VMs (Win7) I have all seem to work. I even updated my personal VM Win10 to the latest and everything seemed to be working as well.

Any clues on what you mean that it just wont work? Like, the VM no longer boots? I'm not sure how seamless upgrading VMware is but 15 doesn't sound like the latest version (but I can't check what I'm running right now).

I'd recommend backing up all your VMs to the current state and then give it a go.
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:34 AM   #3
CommissioningMan
Denmark

Yeah we had this issue. Previously we worked with Version 11 and with the new 1903 update, every VMWare version below v15 is incompatible. So the only solution is to get a license for v15 if one wants future Windows updates.
Old September 12th, 2019, 01:36 AM   #4
sparkie
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

JZerb, In a pinch you can do Start-->Run-->GPEdit then go to Windows Components--> Automatic Update --> Disable Automatic Update and set it to "Disabled", then click okay on it all. This will buy you some time in a pinch, but I do not suggest doing that.

Now, as for the update. here is a thread on the various issues. Right at the top, one post mentioned switching the adapter from Bridged to NAT to boot up, then switching them back and having to do that at every boot.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/608589

Also, from the last page of that post:
Quote:
I got VMWare Workstation pro 15 working on Windows 10 1903 by removing hyper-v. You cannot have hyper-v installed because VMWare uses it's own hypervisor which is not compatible with Hyper-V. Windows 10 version 1903 installs hyper-v to run sand box and containers. These feature create a virtualized environment to prevent malware from being able to corrupt or control the host operating system. So when you uninstall hyper-v, those services will not be able to run.

I uninstalled Hyper-V. Go into programs and Features, then Turn Windows features on or off. scroll down and clear all the checkboxes under hyper-v. Then I had to reboot. Initially I could not open programs and features. I waited about 5 minutes and rebooted again. Eventually I was able to run programs and features from the control panel. I selected VMWare workstation. and clicked change to repair the installation. It required me to stop VMWare.exe, so I killed it using task manager. Then I chose repair installation. waited for it to finish and rebooted again. After that VMWare workstation pro 15 was up and running.
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #5
VAN
United States

I have version 12 Pro and it's working zero problems.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Jeev
Australia

If you don't need Workstation Pro specifically, Workstation Player 15.1.0 is working with the 1903 build.
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:52 PM   #7
JZerb
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommissioningMan View Post
Yeah we had this issue. Previously we worked with Version 11 and with the new 1903 update, every VMWare version below v15 is incompatible. So the only solution is to get a license for v15 if one wants future Windows updates.
Thatís what I read as well. The only fix was upgrading to version 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
JZerb, In a pinch you can do Start-->Run-->GPEdit then go to Windows Components--> Automatic Update --> Disable Automatic Update and set it to "Disabled", then click okay on it all. This will buy you some time in a pinch, but I do not suggest doing that.

Now, as for the update. here is a thread on the various issues. Right at the top, one post mentioned switching the adapter from Bridged to NAT to boot up, then switching them back and having to do that at every boot.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/608589

Also, from the last page of that post:
Thanks! That sounds like an absolute pain in the *** compared to having to pony up $150 to upgrade from version 14 to 15. My issue is, what happens if the next Winblows 10 update makes version 15 unusable? Seems like quite the scam to me.
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #8
lfe
France

Oracle Virtualbox VM free version runs fine on my 1903 Windows 10
I run Simatic v5.5 on it

Last edited by lfe; September 12th, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:41 PM   #9
Geoff White
Australia

Even the earlier versions of 15 wouldn't work with the windows update
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #10
BachPhi
United States

For those who do not want to pay $150 and more in the future, switching over to Virtualbox is very easy and painless.

VB will use your vmdk file from VMware.
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:25 AM   #11
JZerb
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BachPhi View Post
For those who do not want to pay $150 and more in the future, switching over to Virtualbox is very easy and painless.

VB will use your vmdk file from VMware.
Really? That i didnt know. That may be a route I try. Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2019, 12:20 PM   #12
BachPhi
United States

Yes, Select NEW then Use existing Virtual hard Disk file. That's pretty much it.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum