Help! Have PLC2 files on floppy and can't read

PLC wannabe

The PLC2 passed on, and I was jubilant to find files on a floppy.

But now I can't find any way to read them...
I have RSLogix500, if they could be transposed somehow? Or, any PDF even..

Thanks in advance for any help... !

I think he means that he already has the hardware to access the files on the floppy disk - but he doesn't have the PLC-2 software to open the files ...

I think he means that he already has the hardware to access the files on the floppy disk - but he doesn't have the PLC-2 software to open the files ...

I think you're right. In that case, I'd call on my local AB rep for assistance. I probably have some old PLC-2 compatible software around here somewhere, but I wouldn't want to even attempt to get it installed and working.

As above.

But the risk should of been identified long ago. I would go through the rest of your plant and assess the risk of (very, very, light years ago) discontinued hardware.

The PLC2 passed on, and I was jubilant to find files on a floppy.

But now I can't find any way to read them...
I have RSLogix500, if they could be transposed somehow? Or, any PDF even..

Thanks in advance for any help... !
See if you can find any more files. The file extensions make no sense to me. I was expecting at least one file with a .lad extension.
Edit:
It probably wouldn't hurt to post some pic's. Also, what is the exact model number PLC2, like PLC-2/02,/05/15/16/17/20/30, that you are using?

Last edited:
Hmmm, the files make no sense? From some third-party development package??

I don't see the sub-model on the unit, I guess I need to pull the processor?

I've got an old copy of PLC-2 software which "SEEMS" to be running OK ...

but ...

when I try to open the files you sent, it just hangs up and appears to be looking for a file which has an LAD extension ... if you can find that one post it and I'll see what I can do ...

NOTE: that my wife has me on "vacation" (whatever that is) for a few days so it might take awhile for me to get this done - IF you can find the LAD file ...

Although I am not familiar with the PLC2, having come in at PLC5 level,

I looked at the files you sent, and there was nothing of any great size, it was as though these were system files without a program file...

Gents, I have attached a photo of the unit. Can we confirm that this model, if deenergized for a year would lose the program from memory?

The battery box is just a block of corrosion, so that would not have helped. My guess is batteries weren't changed for at least 25 years.

PLC2.jpg

Referring to your post #11, the only way to know that I can think of is to power up the entire plc and see if it will light the "RUN" light to steady on after a few seconds and switching the keyswitch from "Run" to "Prog" and back to "Run". If you get the steady on "Run" light again, then maybe the program is still in there. Personally, I would consider abandoning this PLC completely and get a newer one. Then, re-write the program from scratch. If you can find the .lad file that went with this plc it might be a little easier to re-write. I'm pretty sure someone here can make a .pdf file of it for you. I'm thinking that a Micrologix 1100 series might be enough and there is free software for it unless you already have RS500 software available.

If it has a 1772-MJ or 1785-MJ module in the bottom of the processor then the program could still be on the EEPROM. But that is only for the Mini 2/02, 2/16 and 2/17 which if it were it would be labeled as such on the bottom of the front panel. And I don't see that in the picture which leads me to believe it's a 2/15 and has no EEPROM slot.

PS. I still have an old laptop with the PCMCIA card and PLC-2 cable and ICOM software. I am in Orange county so I could come and get an upload if you want. Just buy me lunch or something. Jack.

Last edited:
If it has a 1772-MJ or 1785-MJ module in the bottom of the processor then the program could still be on the EEPROM. But that is only for the Mini 2/02, 2/16 and 2/17 which if it were it would be labeled as such on the bottom of the front panel. And I don't see that in the picture which leads me to believe it's a 2/15 and has no EEPROM slot.

PS. I still have an old laptop with the PCMCIA card and PLC-2 cable and ICOM software. I am in Orange county so I could come and get an upload if you want. Just buy me lunch or something. Jack.

Wow, that would be awesome, except I would just ship it to you.
I'll get 110 back on it and check the lights like JRW recommended..

Again, I'm just guessing but maybe the .prg file contains the info for the ladder instead of the .lad file required by the software version 6.25 that I am familiar with. Some of my old software for another type plc used a .prg file name. It might be just a very early version of the Icom software that was used. Look around where you found the old floppy that had the files you posted to see if you can find any software by Icom. Maybe even an old computer or boat anchor sized terminal.

EDIT:
Yippee! I found a way to import the files into version 6.25. I see them as a ladder diagram with each instruction labeled. Now to just get a printout.

Last edited: