Programming Siemens OPs

Krisz

Hi there!

I've got an OP7 connected to an S7-200 CPU 224. I have to change the software in the OP. I've got PPI interface for programming the S7-200, and I've got MPI interface for S7-300/400.
I tried to program the OP7 with the MPI interface but it didn't work, there was no connection. Even the 'Active'-led didn't give any light. (The interface works, I tried it with an S7-300).
Can I use this MPI interface to program the OP7 at all? If I can’t then what kind of other possibilities exist?

Thanks in advance,
Krisz

Hello Krisz;
You program an OP7 with ProTool (or ProTool Lite, for text-based interfaces) and a serial cable (Part no: 6XV1 440-2KH32)from Siemens.
Here is a descrption of the cable pin-outs (15 pin male to 9 pin female)from Siemens support:
c7_ser_x.gif

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for the quick answer.
I've made a cable according to the linked drawing (c7_ser_x.gif) but unfortunately it doesn't work. Is it possible that the original Siemens cable contain more electronic parts?
By the way I use ProTool v6.

Krisz

Hi
If you select File->Download->Properties you can select serial or MPI.
Then you can use your MPI interface.
If you have a normal null-modem cable (2-3, 3-2 and 5-5 I think) then you can select 'serial'
Serial is slightly quicker too.
If you use MPI connect into the MPI/RS485 port
Hope this works
Paul

I've already tried with the MPI cable and of course I changed the connection preferences. Didn't work. :confused:
I don't want to order a new cable.
In short time m notebook case will be ca 10 kg: :D
- notebook: 2 kg
- carrying bag: 0,5 kg
- cables & interfaces: 7,5 kg.

Krisz

Hi again!

I called Siemens in Hungary, they said the cable must work.
And it works!
But only in one way: I can download the project into the OP.
Strange.
I'm still interested in any help, advice, suggestion ...

Krisz

You can't upload a project from the OP7. It's impossible.

You must have the source project. You only can upload a project from windows OPs.

Hi there,

It's strange at Siemens, first they build OP's which can be uploaded and downloaded (COM software). Then they build a new version of OP's and it isn't possible anymore to upload the software via Protool lite. But, there is some kind of (non)Siemens software available which make it possible to upload the excisting program but it's not possible the make any changes afterwoods. So, if you have an OP but you didn't received the software, you can only upload the source with this small program.
Another small thing, if you are using the small S5-95U together with an OP17 then the driver which connects your OP to your PLC has a bug and it doesn't work. In that case call the Siemens hotline.

best regards

With the OP 's it is indeed not possible to upload the program and change it!
But with the newer Siemens panels which are Windows CE based a transfert possible in both directions!
An example of a CE based panel is TP170A/B

But, there is some kind of (non)Siemens software available which make it possible to upload the excisting program but it's not possible the make any changes afterwoods. So, if you have an OP but you didn't received the software, you can only upload the source with this small program.

Fritz,

since you seem to know of this gimmick, could you post where to find it. I searched the net with two different searchengines and I came up with nothing of the kind. I'm sure there are more people interested in this.

Thanks in advance,

I think Pro-Save (which is a Siemens package) allows you to upload. I've got V6.0 and uploading from an OP170 is an option, but I haven't got a panel to try it.

since you seem to know of this gimmick, could you post where to find it. I searched the net with two different searchengines and I came up with nothing of the kind. I'm sure there are more people interested in this.

JVDCande,

According your question (see quote), it took me a few day to find it back but here it is.

If you use this link then you'll arrive at the customer support home page of Siemens.

http://www4.ad.siemens.de/csinfo/livelink.exe?func=cslib.csinfo&lang=en&aktprim=0&nodeid0=4000024

Then search for articel 213262, in this articel is a link for Prosave V1.1 (DOS version, suitable for all firmware versions) and ProSave V6.0 SP2 (Windows version, suitable starting form certain firmware versions).

hope this helps.

Thanks Fritz, but the suggestion by paraffin power did the trick. By searching the web for ProSave I found what I needed. Nevertheless, thanks for the info.

Kind regards,

CAUTION FOR SIEMENS OP7, OP17 !!

Simatic gimmick again fellows !

WITH the SIMATIC S5, compression of the internal program memory of the PLC is not allowed when an OP is connected...

Equipment Manual OP7, OP17
Release 09/96 page 15-2