O/T Electric Lawnmowers

Good move on their part. If I had a push mower I would leave it behind also.
There is a huge difference between the various push mowers. There's the Scott Classic, which is a painful workout machine with substandard lawncutting abilities, and then there's the Gardena which is light, nimble, and does a superb job of cutting my grass. I find it way easier than a gas or electric mower, and even has an available (though optional) grass catcher.

From the Gardena 380 information:

Working width 38 cm.
Recommended for areas of lawn up to approx. 200 m².
Cutting height adjustment 12 to 42 mm.
Weight: approx. 8,1 kg.

For precision mowing as with shears.
Extremely smooth-running, quiet and effort saving.
Contact-free cutting technique (cutting cylinder and bottom blade do not touch each other), the lawnmower is therefore extremely quiet and very easy to push.
Hardened, non-stick coating cutting cylinder made of quality steel and ground bottom blade for a clean and precise cut.
Easy, infinitely-variable cutting-height adjustment using handy controller.
Cutting-height scale on both sides is easy to read.
Large wheels with special profile for guiding the lawnmower with more grip.
Handle comes apart for compact storage and transportation.
Recommended accessories: Grass Catcher Art. No. 4029.
4-colour display carton.

Last edited:
When I had a smaller yard I had a dual head string type. It worked well enough. I got it because I didn't have any place to store yard stuff outside and I didn't want to keep gasoline in the basement. There's also less maintenance than with gas (IMHO).

It works out a lot easier if you plan your route so that you're working away from the outlet. This way you're not going over the cord.

The two heads weren't parallel so certain corners needed touching up with a trimmer (also electric).

Hey George,

I got fed up with breaking pull-cords, tune-ups and refueling about 10 years ago. I got rid of the ICE and replaced it with a Black & Decker rechargable battery powered lawnmower. I've only had to replace the battery set once about two years ago.

I have about twice as much lawn as you do... I can mow it all on one charge. Of course the mowing needs to happen regularly and the lawns must be reasonably dry... damp lawn is pretty tough on any mower.

It was a bit spendy... about $400.00... but that has been repayed at least once - despite the replacement battery set.

No gas trips, no gas, squeeze and run, relatively quiet, low-low maintenance.

George... this is what you need, just think 3.2sec you will be done with your front and back yard... that will leave more time for beer :)

The Dixie Chopper Xtreme is the world’s fastest lawnmower. It has a 990cc 33-hp engine with the capability to mow grass at 15mph.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5322/picture/21106/

(407) Hi Terry

EDIT... I was wrong on the number for Terry

Last edited:
That's cool GIT, I'd be the talk of the neighborhood on that beast .
I was gonna build a lawnmower from an old light saber, but then I found out they didn't exist.:( (yet)

(438) Hey Terry

ANybody catch the day they were showing off the new battery powered mower on one of the morning shows? Look pretty handy, no gas and no cord to deal with. if i remember correctly i think it was quite pricey.

...I was gonna build a lawnmower from an old light saber, but then I found out they didn't exist.:(

Yep, I wanna pop-up spinning laser head in the middle of the yard that whips around in a few seconds once per day and makes a perfectly level (looking) yard. I just haven't figured out how to get the reflector tape to stay on my dogs' ankles.

Pieace!

Well, I ended up picking up a corded mower, to try out.
I did have a little trouble wrestling with the cord at first, but I haven't ran over it yet.
It cut the high grass in the back pretty easily.
I even had my 10 year old operate it. Wrangling the cord is easy when you have two people.
Thanks for all of the advice.
I'll let you know when I run over my first cord.:oops:
The front and back outlets are both GFCI. ;-)

Well my 14 year old let the smoke out of the Homelite corded electric lawnmower the other day.
The rotor busted out the bottom of the motor, and the rotor dropped down.
The GFCI tripped, but not before the motor windings burned.
It looks like there is no way to fix it, and it's a year and a half out of warranty.

I'm sure that a gasoline powered mower would still be running after three and a half years.
I don't think that I saved more than 10 gallons of gas in the entire time that I owned the Electric lawnmower.
So economically speaking, the Homelite mower wasn't a home run.

That said, I still really like the Electric mower, compared to the hassles of Gas.
So much, that I think I want to buy another Electric, just not the same brand.
Any other brands of corded electric that might be more robust than the Homelite?