Why does Step7 keep crashing? Do I need multiple versions of Step 7?

strantor

I am experienced with many PLC platforms except Siemens. Now I must learn Siemens for my new job. My employer has relied on the OEM for PLC support until now, and now it's my job to take over. We have dozens of machines with Siemens PLCs ranging from 20yrs old to brand new. I am currently evaluating (trial version) of Step7 5.6 and TIA Portal V.14.1, in an effort to determine what we need to buy in order to support all our machines.

In Step7 v.5.6 I have experienced on many machines (actually all the machines I have tried so far) that the software will crash when I attempt to upload from the PLC. My research into the cause loosely points at the PLC being an incompatible hardware with my 5.6 software. I have downloaded all the HWUpdates but some I cannot install because it says "supplied."

For example yesterday I attempted to upload from a CPU317-2 DP (6ES7 317-2AK14-0AB0) and it crashed every time. According to the datasheet for that CPU I think I what I have should work.

attachment.php

According to my HWUpdates it seems I have this in my library already and cannot overwrite/reinstall that specific update (else I get an error: "Selection not possible. Cannot install over a HW update supplied with the STEP7 Version").

attachment.php

However I do not believe that the CPU317-2 DP is fully installed or fully compatible because when I attempt to create a new project based on that PLC, it is not available from the New Project Wizard.

attachment.php

So am I barking up the wrong tree or what? Do I need (In addition to Step7 5.6) Step7 V5.2 SP1 in order to upload from this PLC? Is this like RSLogix5000 where you need to have installed many many old legacy versions of the same software in order to service the whole array of existing machines? Or am I having some other problem?

hwupdates0.PNG hwupdates.PNG hwupdates1.PNG

Last edited:
You don't need older versions with STEP7. Your version should be fine.

The wizard does not show all CPU. Have you tried to see if it is in the hardware catalogue in STEP 7 after your project is created?

You don't need older versions with STEP7. Your version should be fine.

The wizard does not show all CPU. Have you tried to see if it is in the hardware catalogue in STEP 7 after your project is created?

Yes, if I create a project with the wrong CPU, I can see the proper CPU in the catalog, and then change it to the proper CPU. But doing this does not solve the issue of crashing unfortunately.

Yes, if I create a project with the wrong CPU, I can see the proper CPU in the catalog, and then change it to the proper CPU. But doing this does not solve the issue of crashing unfortunately.

Are you able to connect online with the CPU?

It it's just the upload which fail, your STEP 7 install may be damaged.

I just noticed it is a PROFIBUS CPU.

Have you properly set the PROFIBUS ADRESS in the HW configuration ? Have you checked the PG/PC interface works ?

Even though S7's were around it took several years for companies to start using them in mass... I have worked on several S5's that were install in 2000 and 2001

Even though S7's were around it took several years for companies to start using them in mass... I have worked on several S5's that were install in 2000 and 2001

I started working well after that, but some people told me that STEP 7 was quite buggy at the start, which surprised me because I have always known it super reliable and steady.

I started working well after that, but some people told me that STEP 7 was quite buggy at the start, which surprised me because I have always known it super reliable and steady.

I hated TIA 10 and 11, it would crash just about every time I used it... SO much better now :D

Sometimes crashes can be solved by reinstalling everything. It sucks and wastes time, but it can make a difference.

Are you able to connect online with the CPU?

It it's just the upload which fail, your STEP 7 install may be damaged.

Maybe so. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Step7, thanks.

I just noticed it is a PROFIBUS CPU.

Have you properly set the PROFIBUS ADRESS in the HW configuration ? Have you checked the PG/PC interface works ?

Yes it is profibus. I used an old USB-MPI adapter I have from many moons ago to connect to it. It was a big ordeal, took me half a day to figure it out. Apparently my Siemens USB drivers did not install properly. I had uninstall from device manager and let it be re-recognized and install the proper driver.

After that I was able to go online with the PLC and see the FBs. So I assume that is sufficient confirmation of the PC/PG interface working. I also had this same exact problem with a different (newer) PLC while connected to it via ethernet.

Whether MPI or ethernet, If I open a FB and view in LAD/STL/FB, then I can upload that specific FB, no problem. I could theoretically open every single FB and upload one at a time that way. But if I try to upload all FBs and/or the HW config, then I get the crash again.

What I just described smells to me like another symptom of possibly a bad Step7 install; would you agree?

20 years old you may need Step5, this is what I use https://www.ibhsoftec.com/S5W-Eng

Oh lort. I hope not. I really don't think that's the case. Fingers crossed.