PowerFlex 700 ( Water Cooled ) Fault Number 340 ? Rockwell has no idea what this is.

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

We had 3 PowerFlex 700( Water-cooled ) Cat. No. 20LD360N3NNNAN20WA
300 HP drives fault out at the same time. We were able to reset it. The keypad showed

FltQ#2 : F# 340
F 340 See PF700AC

Spoke with Rockwell , and they say they have no idea what this fault may be.
They are still investigating the issue. Have anybody ever experienced this fault
before ?

Thanks so much for your help.

Problem #1, most likely you called an AB tech person and said that you had this fault on a PowerFlex 700, just like you said here. You have a PowerFlex 700L, it's a different unit. If the tech didn't catch the subtle change in the part number (or you didn't give it to him) and was searching for info on this fault in a PF700 manual, it will not show up.

The 700L is a liquid cooled Line Regenerative drive, so the part that converts AC tp DC is what's called an Active Converter (700AC) section, not a passive diode bridge. That means it can have similar faults that are separate from the load-side inverter. But there is only one HIM (display). So to differentiate where the faults happen, the HIM adds a value of 300 to the fault number in the fault queue (lineup or fault log). So that display is telling you that the Fault #2 in the Queue (FltQ #2) is 340, which is Fault #40, except on the Active Converter side, not the inverter side. There is a separate manual for the 700AC, and from there, it says that Fault #40 is a loss of synchronization with the line when the power was turned off.

If I had to guess, I'd think that you have someone shutting down the VFD by killing the line power, a very very bad idea. But get the AB tech Support involved with the CORRECT information and tell them you need to speak with an expert on the 700L drive, not the 700.

Thanks for the help. I gave the gentleman at tech support that catalog number. I also e-mailed him pictures of the display and the catalog number.
It is odd that 3 drives shut down at the same time , with the same fault.

Thanks again for the help.

It makes sense to me that if you had a phase loss or imbalance on the incoming power, that all three drives would fault at the same time because they would all detect the sync loss.

Thanks for the help. I gave the gentleman at tech support that catalog number. I also e-mailed him pictures of the display and the catalog number.
It is odd that 3 drives shut down at the same time , with the same fault.

Thanks again for the help.
Yep, he probably should have checked that cat number, but like most of us, he likely jumped to a conclusion when you said 700. The 700L is a rare breed, they likely don't get many calls.

Ken's assessment makes sense to me too. If it were not a Regen drive it would have tripped on Phase Loss, but Regen complicates that because if a phase is lost, the RMS voltage drops, the drive drops the motor speed to compensate, the load is still spinning at the previous speed though, so it regenerates through the drive and defeats the Phase Loss detection. But it picks it up as a synch loss.

PowerFlex 700 ( Water Cooled ) Fault Number 303. please help me find the description

PowerFlex 700l .
p.n0: 20lc360n3ennae11wa ( Water Cooled ) Fault Number 303. i cant find the description of the fault. please help me regarding this fault and actions to be taken,

Problem #1, most likely you called an AB tech person and said that you had this fault on a PowerFlex 700, just like you said here. You have a PowerFlex 700L, it's a different unit. If the tech didn't catch the subtle change in the part number (or you didn't give it to him) and was searching for info on this fault in a PF700 manual, it will not show up.

The 700L is a liquid cooled Line Regenerative drive, so the part that converts AC tp DC is what's called an Active Converter (700AC) section, not a passive diode bridge. That means it can have similar faults that are separate from the load-side inverter. But there is only one HIM (display). So to differentiate where the faults happen, the HIM adds a value of 300 to the fault number in the fault queue (lineup or fault log). So that display is telling you that the Fault #2 in the Queue (FltQ #2) is 340, which is Fault #40, except on the Active Converter side, not the inverter side. There is a separate manual for the 700AC, and from there, it says that Fault #40 is a loss of synchronization with the line when the power was turned off.

If I had to guess, I'd think that you have someone shutting down the VFD by killing the line power, a very very bad idea. But get the AB tech Support involved with the CORRECT information and tell them you need to speak with an expert on the 700L drive, not the 700.

Try to read the topic, it might help