Can't set IP on EN2T

MartyMaucher

Using 1756-EN2T Ethernet card. Got BOOTP running to set IP to 192.168.1.2. BOOTP sees the MAC address, but never sets the IP on the EN2T card. Connected through Stratix 2500 lightly managed switch.

I also tried connecting by USB with RS Linx Classic, but it doesn't see the card, either. The card scrolls BOOTP (MAC address) and IP Address/Mask/Gateway Invalid.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Make sure that your "network settings" on the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility are configured so that the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask are set up so that the Gateway address is on the same network as the IP address.

Very typical:

IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

If the default gateway was, for example, "192.168.4.1" then it would not be on the same subnet as the IP, and would be rejected by the module.

The server/laptop is static at 192.168.1.1. I set the Gateway to the same. I can ping the display at 192.168.1.3 (through the same network switch).

When selecting "Enable BOOTP", it pauses while it says "Attempting to connect to <MAC address>" and times out. It seems like DHCP protocol is not getting through the Stratix 2500 network switch, but I also tried it with a regular NetGear switch with the same results.

RSLinx is v4.11

Double-check, triple-check, and then quadruple-check the Network Settings in the BOOTP/DHCP utility.

What you are describing is exactly what I see when I make a typo in the Network Settings.

Ohhhh..... the Mask and Gateway setting IN BOOTP Tools, Network Settings (not laptop network).
Got it set, And it's working.
Thanks so much, Ken.

I should have been more clear: the Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway are settings you make in the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility itself, not the settings for your own PC's network interface card.

Main Menu -> Tools -> Network Settings