Wire Ferrules? Recommendations?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are trying to standardize our wire and ferrule brands. Before we used whatever the purchasing guy felt like at the time. Obviously that is :sick: inducing.

Wire is already done, but I have been left to pick Ferrules.

Does anyone have any name brands that they recommend? basically we want to pick one brand and stick with it.

A cheap ferrule is a cheap ferrule.

Bootlace ferrule, for example, the quality control on the cheap ones' aren't good. Some are a nice fit on tri-rated cable, some are super tight to get on, some are loose around the boot end.

Any well-known brand should be ok, just ensure the colour code is consistent (OCD).

I carry a handy little "slide-box" someone got me from Phoenix Contact. I need to get some more for the other guys. Allied wants $70 for the P.C. brand, but this one looks identical:

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/american-electrical-inc-/1617050/70037660/

I buy ferrules from A/D to replenish our supply. The quality of the crimper tool matters much more than the ferrule imho.

I have used FerrulesDirect.com for years and have had no complaints. You can get a full kit with many different sizes.

I have used FerrulesDirect.com for years and have had no complaints. You can get a full kit with many different sizes.
I have had the same experience with Ferrules Direct. Their ferrules are good and relatively inexpensive.
The only problem which I have found is that their crimping tool doesn't quite go small enough for the smallest size ferrules (white sleeve). I use my AMP service tool after the initial crimp to solve that issue.

I have had the same experience with Ferrules Direct. Their ferrules are good and relatively inexpensive.
The only problem which I have found is that their crimping tool doesn't quite go small enough for the smallest size ferrules (white sleeve). I use my AMP service tool after the initial crimp to solve that issue.
I use this crimper from Ferrules Direct and we use their ferrules too. I haven't had any issues crimping even the smallest ferrules (24/26 ga). I did have to tweak the adjustment wheel on the side of the tool, however, for the smaller ones.

I've had ferrules go feral, be on your toes. I will say the 6 point KNIPEX pliers make a huge difference in termination quality (resistance sensitive terminations like RTD's especially, I do not ferrule RTD's personally but my colleagues do) Hope this unsolicited advice is well received.

From DCAM the community Heretic....

I like how the knockoff FerrulesDirect crimper even duplicates the Knipex handle colors. Shameless... :rolleyes: