Card Reader Integrated Into Beckhoff PLC

jenako

Hello. At workplace every person has its own personal card (HID iclass GL type). Now we want to access machine operations only to valid users i.e. the user swipes the card and if the data corresponds to a valid user the buttons in the HMI start button appear to let the user use the machine. So what I need is an industrial card reader for the HID iclass GL type and advice of how to perform the communication with the Beckhoff PLC (I suppose some form of serial communication). Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Nick

I'm working on this right now at our facility, i.e. using employee access cards to activate certain functions on machinery. Your best bet is to get a reader that supports standard serial like RS-232/485. The industry has its own standard protocols (Wiegand, clock-and-data) but as far as I know neither Beckhoff nor any other mainstream PLC vendor have interface hardware for these formats.

Our cards are the 125MHz type so I found a compatible reader from HID that can output RS-232/422/485 signals (ProxPro 5352A). I'm doing my testing with a Red Lion HMI but I could have just as easily used a serial interface terminal from Beckhoff like the EL6021. It's quite simple--the reader just sends the card data in a 9600bps ASCII text string every time a card is scanned. It's up to the programmer to create an interface to identify users and allow the proper access.

In your case, the iClass cards are 13.56MHz which requires different reader technology. A quick Google search found the HID RW100/150/300/400 models which appear to support standard serial output for that format.

Thank you John for your replies, really appreciated. I have contacted HID already. I will let you know if anything else comes up.