FactoryTalk Licensing

wpuryear

I intend to purchase FactoryTalk View Studio (9701-VWSTENE) and run the developed application on the same pc, the only machine running the application.

Is there a runtime (other than the test run available in the design stage) included or must I purchase a separate license to run the application?

Thanks - Walt

Then I think SE Station is what you need. Studio (the editor) would be a separate purchase.

Yes, looks like I'll need either 'FT View SE Client' or 'FT View SE Station'. Rockwell is not very clear about sorting out the multiple applications.

Walt

wpuryear said:
Yes, looks like I'll need either 'FT View SE Client' or 'FT View SE Station'. Rockwell is not very clear about sorting out the multiple applications....

All this terminology is quite confusing, isn't it?...

FactoryTalk View Site Edition (FT View SE) is always a Server/Client architecture, no matter whether Network Distributed or Network/Local Station. There is always a Client that needs a Server.

Applications...

FactoryTalk View Site Edition (FT View SE) supports three different application types:

FactoryTalk View SE - Network Distributed
FactoryTalk View SE - Network Station (<<< this one is new since v7.00)
FactoryTalk View SE - Local Station

"Network Distributed" applications may have multiple HMI Servers and multiple distributed HMI Clients and full redundancy is supported. The FT View Network Directory Server and FactoryTalk Linx Data Servers may all reside on different computers but must all be connected to the same Network Directory. This application type may be edited from any HMI Server or computer with FT View Studio pointed at the same Network Directory.

"Network Station" applications may have only one HMI Server and one HMI Client local on the same computer but may access distributed FT View Network Directory Servers and distributed FactoryTalk Linx Data Servers or OPC Data Servers. Only redundancy of the Data Servers is supported (as their is only the local HMI Server). This application type may be edited form the local HMI Server only (v7.00) or from any computer with FT View Studio pointed at the same Network Directory (v8.00).

"Local Station" applications may have only one HMI Server and one HMI Client local on the same computer and may only access an FT View Local Directory Server and FactoryTalk Linx Data Server on that same computer. Distributed OPC Data Servers may still be accessed. This application type may be edited by the local HMI Server only or moved to another computer with FT View Studio, edited, and then moved back (as pointed out, this is what you need).

Note how "Network Station" and "Local Station" are both "Station" type applications. Again, this does not mean there are no Server/Clients involved here. They are all using Server/Client architectures and only the location of and access to either local or network distributed data sets them apart.

Activations (licenses)...

Server

While the FT View SE Server "display count" based products are still available for purchase...

Examples:

FactoryTalk View SE Server 25 Display
Product: 9701-VWSS025AENE
Activation: RSVSESRV.25

FactoryTalk View SE Server 250 Display
Product: 9701-VWSS250AENE
Activation: RSVSESRV.250

FactoryTalk View SE Server Unlimited Display
Product: 9701-VWSS000LENE
Activation: RSVSESRV.MAX

...the bundle options are better recommended these days by Rockwell...

Example:

FactoryTalk View Site Edition Bundle - Unlimited Display, 10 Clients
Product: 9701-VWS000LENE
Activations: 1 RSVSE.MAX, 10 RSVSECLI.RW

Client - (as mentioned) to be used with a Server product as per above

Example:

FactoryTalk View SE Client
Product: 9701-VWSCWAENE
Activation: RSVSECLI.RW

Station - to be used with Network Station or Local Station

Examples:

FactoryTalk View SE Station 15 Display
Product: 9701-VWSB015AENE
Activation: RSVSE.15

FactoryTalk View SE Station 250 Display
Product: 9701-VWSB250AENE
Activation: RSVSE.250

FactoryTalk View SE Station Unlimited Display
Product: 9701-VWSB000AENE
Activation: RSVSE.MAX

wpuryear said:
...Is there a runtime (other than the test run available in the design stage) included or must I purchase a separate license to run the application?

Product you are buying...

FactoryTalk View Studio for FT View Enterprise Series
Product: 9701-VWSTENE
Activation: RSV.Studio

Post v6.1 of FT View Studio no longer permits the 2 hour TEST RUN of a local Station HMI Server and HMI Client. Its activation no longer activates these products for the TEST RUN. Therefore, to run/test the local Station application, you must purchase a Station license (as per the above) which will activate both the HMI Server and HMI Client products on the local computer.

Regards,
George

One more question on my licensing confusion. The plan is to use a FactoryTalk View SE Station license and to verify I 'borrowed" RSVSE.MAX 9701-VWSB000AENE and all looks good. I only need a few screens so the question is would anything be missing in RSVSE.25 VWSB015AENE that is present in RSVSE.MAX ?

Thanks - Walt

Last edited: