HMI stick PC

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I dont know PCs.

I have a stupid idea just to see if it will work. I have a few plants that are starting to use Ignition and SE distributed. Has anyone ever uses those small stick PC to run a client? I just don't have enough knowledge about them to make the call to even try one out.

It's not a stupid idea at all. I've seen this most commonly used on large TV's to display plant metrics or dashboards. Nothing stops you from putting a KB/Mouse on there to make it more functional.

Ive seen it several times for dashboard like you said. I didnt know if they had enought horsepower to run a client where the customer is navigating screen.

I will probably buy 1 just to play and see what it can do.

I think you'll find anything along the lines of a Stick PC, NUC or R-Pi will have enough ability to run what would ordinarily be a HMI or SCADA terminal with ease. If you run out of processing ability on some of the more complex SCADA or IIoT requirements then you can serve that up elsewhere on the network and use your giant display as a UI to remotely access that.

I have tried the sticks for displays but not Ignition.

I have ran Ignition on Pi 3's. There are sample files of how to set this up on the IA forum.

In my opinion they are fine if it is for a large mainly static (not page changing often) displays.

For a regular operator station, I would go for a NUC.

Some of the lower end industrial PCs (Like Atom processors with 2GB Ram) seem to struggle on complex ignition screens that are used for actual control, at least when running windows. So I'm not sure I'd trust a stick if there's much button pushing going on.

Some of the lower end industrial PCs (Like Atom processors with 2GB Ram) seem to struggle on complex ignition screens that are used for actual control, at least when running windows. So I'm not sure I'd trust a stick if there's much button pushing going on.

Quad-core, 4GB RAM minimum... oh and Linux :)

Based on recent experience with a large Wonderware application, an Atom-based PC is better used as a thin client connected to a terminal server. It did not have the communications throughput to handle the tag updates. Meanwhile, I was using a $500 Dell i3 fanless brick PC as my development system on that same project with no performance issues.

Mike