Can I use 3Won with RSLinx Classic Lite

MattMatt9

Trying to communicate to a network using the two mentioned in title. Can't really find a good video on how to do it. If I choose AB_ETH-1 I have to type in the IP addresses and they come up unrecognized. If I choose AB_ETHIP-1 nothing is found. Please help.

If you are talking about the E W O N, you have to setup the IP addresses in the E W O N setup. They will not show any ip if it is not listed when you sign on with eCatcher.

Hope this helps.

The connection to the specified network is already setup in E W O N. So when I connect to it and open up RSLinx this is what I get...(attached photo). So I can manually put them in and go to properties and see that it says "LogixCPUXXX" but it comes up as unidentified. When I was reading on how to do this I was given the idea that I could just browse using "AB_ETHIP-1".

RSLinx.PNG

If it never ends up with a red X on it, make sure you can ping it. If you can ping it, right click on it and try uploading the EDS

I can ping anything on the network. I actually just posted a new question. I cant view my HMIs using TightVNC Viewer, dont know if its related.

But to what you said, what does uploading EDS do. I dont want to erase anything.

It will upload a file from the PLC that defines what the device is and its communication parameters. When RSLinx doesn't have a registered EDS for a device, it displays the yellow ?

Last question though, if I can manually put them in under "AB_ETH-1" why dont they automatically recognize under "AB_ETHIP-1"?

Last question though, if I can manually put them in under "AB_ETH-1" why dont they automatically recognize under "AB_ETHIP-1"?

The Ethernet/IP driver depends on a broadcast to the chosen network adapter (usually local) and responses from the PLCs to populate its "Who Active" list. The Ethernet Devices driver uses specific IP address provided by you which lets it along with the available network adapters (including any virtual adapters enabled by the 3won) figure out the route to find them.

I think it is possible to get the Ethernet/IP driver to broadcast on a remote subnet. To make it work, you may also have to manage switches and router settings to allow the broadcast packets all the way to grandma's house and back.

That is a lot of tinkering that you might have to repeat for different situations just to connect to devices that are almost always static IP addresses which you can simply enter into the Ethernet Devices driver poll list. I have a different Ethernet Devices driver saved in my RSLinx setup for each remote customer we support and named after them. This way, I can click on the customer name in RSLinx when I am using a VPN to reach them and can save the path in the RSLogix file, export my RSLinx settings to share with peers, etc. One time setup, use it from there forward.

At least that is my limited understanding of the major difference between the two drivers.

Ok so it seems as though my best bet is to manually put in the IP addresses of the PLCs, upload the EDS, and they will become recognizable along with the Point I/O that are in there branch?

Ok so it seems as though my best bet is to manually put in the IP addresses of the PLCs, upload the EDS, and they will become recognizable along with the Point I/O that are in there branch?

That is correct. The legacy Ethernet driver is necessary when connecting through an 3WON, the EDS file is necessary to communicate to any device regardless of the Ethernet driver used or whether you are connected remotely or locally.

It's also good to know that EDS files are version specific. You may be connecting to a PLC that is v24 today, which you will register an EDS file for. Tomorrow if you have to connect to a PLC that is v28, you will need to register an EDS file for that PLC as well. Some devices have the EDS on board, which you can right click/upload. Other devices don't, which you would have to get from the manufacturers website. Also, registering an EDS file does not over-write another one, so it's not like you would lose EDS for v24 after registering a v28 EDS.