How do save the motor winding from the ground fault.

BITI BISHARA

Hello guys,
I am facing the ground fault problem often.
We have a liquid mixer machine and the motor is installed under the mixer tank.so sometimes liquid going to the winding inside through the motor shaft. Normally we are doing preventive maintenance regularly but unfortunately liquid insert to the winding and showing motor grounded.
This motor is 7 kW and running by VFD Drive.
Now I am seeking your support and idea how do I save the motor winding from a ground fault.
Your idea and support would be appreciated.
Kind regards.
But I.

What type of VFD are you using. Most will have a ground/earth fault monitoring parameter. that can be utilized.

Yes, we tried before to run the motor by using a belt drive but we are not successful because butter is not mixing properly.
Horizontal, not possible to fix.
Electrically what we can do for this problem.Thank you.
Kind regards.
Biti

Check to see if the VFD will monitor earth leakage.

However, main soultion would be to stop liquid getting into the motor, is there a leak?

Yes, there is a liquid leakage sometimes but we don't know what time it will be a leak but we are doing our best to stop the leakage and it is also ok few months.
I checked the inverter but still not found earth current leakage parameters.still I am checking...

Can I fix the earth current leakage breaker after inverter output side.what do you think?

Yes, there is a liquid leakage sometimes but we don't know what time it will be a leak but we are doing our best to stop the leakage and it is also ok few months.
I checked the inverter but still not found earth current leakage parameters.still I am checking...

Can I fix the earth current leakage breaker after inverter output side.what do you think?

Check to see if the VFD will monitor earth leakage.

However, main solution would be to stop liquid getting into the motor, is there a leak?

Hello Rob...
VFD was giving fault alarm 14.its mean motor earth fault but by this time motor already grounded.
I want to save the motor winding from grounding.can I fix earth current leakage really VFD output side.what is your opinion.
I don't find any parameter on VFD for earth current monitor.if you know please let know the parameter numbers.
Yes of course we shall fix mechanical seal and packing gland to stop the inserting the water.
Kind regards.
Biti.

So . . the product leaks onto the motor, gets inside it, and shorts it out.

Can't stop the leaks?

Any chance you can replace the motor with some sort of sealed unit?
Poet.

If the motor is not a totally enclosed type then make this change next time you have a failure. Order it and have it on hand.

Is the material leaking down the side of the pot or through the mixer seal? if through the mixer seal you may have enough room to install a slinger guard on the motor shaft to keep most of it out of the motor.

In that mount, the motor needs a rear/bottom drain. if it has one remove the plug and if not create one.

In the end, the motor needs to be stand-mounted with a belt drive going over to the mixer.

Some drives will let you adjust or disable ground fault and some will not so you will need to research the drive model to find more in detail about that part.

Not something I readily admit to, but I had a similar situation and ended up drilling a hole in the lower end of the motor case (missing all windings and other internal parts) so any fluid getting in the motor would drain out the bottom.

In this installation to prevent the leaking fluid from spraying all over the unit I would add a drain tube.

Another thought is to add an oil slinger on the motor shaft that would send any fluid out the slots in the coupling housing. Plus that would give the operator a chance to see the fluid before it collects in the motor, especially if he has to mop it up more than once.

Find a motor shop that can do a VPI Vacuum, Pressure, Impregnation
I have had very good success with it for harsh environments
also have a shield built to prevent liquid from getting on the motor