Red Lion Crimson 2 with DL205, how to retain timer data through a shutdown

icc1john

I have an older G310 - so stuck with Crimson 2, but although it is not nearly as cool, I'm doing ok with it.
The issue I have is that I have a bunch of timers in my program and I am writing to the V memory locations from the Red Lion.
I know that in the DL250, you have to MOV to write to NV memory, but it doesn't make sense to MOV all of that data every time a timer setting is changed. This is a thermoformer, so the time setting of everything that moves is adjusted regularly.
I must be missing something simple, because I cannot figure out a way to make the most current settings make through a power cycle.
I have tried the Crimson tags as write only - set as retentive, no joy. I tried writing an action on "On Write" to trigger a MOV in the DL250, but I would then be writing each change to the DL250 NV ram, I think there is a limit to how many times that can happen before something bad happens...
It just seems that if the tag is write only, and the storage property is "retentive", that it should be - well.... retentive.... I must be missing the big picture....

According to the manual, the DL250 CPU Supercap holds data in the RAM for 15 hours, and you can install a battery for longer storage. I have a thermoformer on a DL260, and the customer has never complained of loss of timer settings, even though the battery has not been replaced for several years.

I'm not familiar with the DL205 but you should be aware that there are some limitations to the retentive memory on the G3 units. Setting a tag to retentive will make it save through power cycles--HOWEVER--retentive data is only written to the internal NV flash memory once every 5-10 minutes. They do this to prevent the flash from wearing out. So, if you change the value of a retentive tag and power down without waiting long enough, you'll lose the data. You can execute the CommitAndReset() command to force the write, but this reboots the unit also. AFAIK this issue still exists on their newer screens with Crimson 3.0/3.1. There is an undocumented command that will force a NV write without power cycling the unit... if you're interested I can PM you the details as I don't think Red Lion wants it made public (improper use could cause hardware damage).

Guys, thanks for the responses. I did read about the CommitAndReset() command over the weekend and also about the retentive data being written only so often.
I think I will have to figure out what I have been doing wrong in the DL250 to make it lose the V-memory data. I have a 250-1 that I am going to swap in with a fresh battery and start there...