HMI clean screen setup

Jim G.

Because of the COVID19 issue, people are ore obsessed with cleaning. Recently , we had a problem on a machine and traced it back to an operator cleaning a touch panel changed a setting with out knowing it. These particular HMI's already had a function programmed for cleaning the panel. The operator didn't know this function existed and so they didn't use it. These were setup on Siemens Comfort panels. The operators were trained and that hurdle has been cleared.
We have other model HMI's throughout our plant and I am looking to implement a similar "clean screen" function on them. My first one will be a C-More EA9 15" panel and Contrologix PLC.
I am attaching the logic I will use to do this. I would like someone to look at it and let me know if this approach will work.
I am open to suggestions and improvement on the logic as I have very many to do.
This ability to clean the screens and not upset our processes is important and gives the operators a small measure of comfort during these trying times. We are deemed an essential business and need to keep running.

Looks like it should work.

If possible, I would personally prefer to give the operator a way to get back to the regular screens if he/she needs to rather than wait for the timer duration. Perhaps wire a selector switch to a spare PLC input. When the input is on drive the C-More to the clean screen. When off return to normal.

I like the fact that you give the operators a safe alternative to clean the HMI.
I think this is one of many way of doing it. It can also be implemented directly in the HMI program.

Is the HMI built in, or is the screen powered separately i.e. can they turn off the screen without affecting the process?

Thank you for the responses.

I don't want to give the operators anymore selector switches or controls than they actually need. Operators sometimes walk away and forget to switch things back. The idea was to make it mostly automatic and not require a physical switch. My program shows that I am only giving them 5 seconds to wipe down the screen. If they need more time, that's easy enough to do.That is how the Siemens panels we have work. Press the button, wipe it down, walk away.

As far as creating the function in the HMI, I am not aware of any way to do that in C-More. If there is, please let me know how.

The HMI cannot at this time be turned off separately. No real plans to change that. We are a 24/7 operation.

Perhaps you can create another screen that's just blank and used for cleaning? Just have one very small button in a corner to go back to home page. So whenever they want to clean, they click the "clean screen" button. Then they can wipe the screen down, and they can click the home button. Or even if it is left on that screen, someone will recognized what it is, and they will go back to home screen.

alive15

That's basically what I have done, except the switch back is done by a timer.
The screen changes to a blank screen when the "clean screen" button is pressed, and then changes back after a preset time. A return button on the panel would be a consideration and then it could be done with no programming at all from the PLC side. Just use navigation buttons on the HMI itself.

Thanks. Something to consider.

Best regards

Why not just let operator change to a screen with text saying "Clean Screen"
Have a button that enables a bit in the plc onto a timer so the operator has to hold the key down for x seconds to change screen that way the operator could not acidently press the screen while cleaning it as it is highly improbable that while cleaning they could press the touch point for x seconds.
I have done similar to this to an abort button so the operator first had to press the abort then accept a pop up that said "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO ABORT IF YES PRESS AND HOLD OK OR CANCEL"
The reason is operators often said the process aborted itself (Yeah right)
Funnily enough we never had any more false aborts.

parky,

I put my change button on a rarely used screen so there has to be intentional intent to push it. I like the idea of a activate delay for the PB. C-More has that feature. I have used it on other operations in the past.

Thanks

have 2 buttons on the screen:

press pb1 starts timer...
when pb1 is timer is timed out pb2 appears and allows the operator to return to regular operating screens

After pb1 is pressed display the count down for the appearance of pb2 with a message saying "stop if not done cleaning"

Have 3rd pb appear that will reset the cleaning screen to its start point if the operator is not done cleaning...

accidental pressing of pb1 does not change the screen without operator action.. and the original timer can still be running to change the screen automatically

.....ok 3 buttons

have 2 buttons on the screen: ... ok 3 buttons
watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxkcPoLYcQ&t=2m6s

Perhaps you can create another screen that's just blank and used for cleaning? Just have one very small button in a corner to go back to home page. So whenever they want to clean, they click the "clean screen" button. Then they can wipe the screen down, and they can click the home button. Or even if it is left on that screen, someone will recognized what it is, and they will go back to home screen.

This is exactly how I have always done it. No timers needed. Having a dedicated screen also gives you a place to remind them not to use harsh chemicals or abrasive cloths. Never had a problem doing this.