Text-to-speech for walkie-talkie alerts

phuz

I had a new request from a customer a few days ago and I cannot find anything about what they are requesting (supposedly he has seen it in the past). When a particular alarm occurs, they want an automated alert on all the maintenance radios. Has anyone seen something like this?

yup. they had a device like this in the oil fields. I forgot the brand.
We currently are doing something similar by using email converted into text.
The cell phone companies have been cracking down on this free service and now are charging us money (Verizon).

It's possible but I don't know the specifics. A factory I used to frequent had the operators with radio headsets on. There were long production lines so one operator was maybe responsible for circa 30-metre section. The alarms on the HMI went to a Tx unit, reading them out to the operator and letting them know which area they had to look at.

I still have contacts there if you want me to ask on what hardware is involved.

A place I used to work had a system like this. Their radio network was configured so that you could dial a phone number and use an ordinary phone as a radio, if you didn't have a radio. Start talking to transmit, cover the receiver to stop transmitting and receive. So, then all they needed was a text-to-voice phone call (which many SCADA platforms have in some shape or another) and to configure it to dial that number.

Don't know if that helps in your particular application, but that's one way of doing it.