Designating multi-level terminals on prints

dogleg43

There is a recent thread about how to show terminals on prints.

My question is similar: with many of us using multi-level terminals, how do you differentiate on the drawing the different levels?

If we are not clear on the drawings then we can’t expect the electricians to terminate them right.

Sometimes i would desinate different numbers per layer,
Example for 3 level.
Tb3-1
Tb3-2
Tb3-3

Lately i have changed to using a lelvel descriptor on the drawings but labeling the entire terminal the same number.
Example.
Tb3-1T
TB3-1M
TB3-1B
would signify the top, middle, and bottom levels of a three tuer block.

All of my customers electrical specifications is to never use them. The panel shops hates them. The field electricians hate them. And anybody after that that has to trouble-shoot the thing will hate them.

All of my customers electrical specifications is to never use them. The panel shops hates them. The field electricians hate them. And anybody after that that has to trouble-shoot the thing will hate them.
I find that really surprising to hear you say that. The company I work for has been using them for about 15 years and I've yet to hear of a customer complaining. I also see them in hundreds of panels all across the east coast where I travel.

I'm curious to know what the complaints are about. Seems to me they make everything easy to follow. A digital output for example has both its signal and its common on one block. Makes field wiring easier too, since both conductors land in the same place- no hunting for the neutral/common bus. Etc.

As a designer I’ve been more or less forced to use them because they’re compact.

As an electrician I hate them too. Salesmen will hold them up and demonstrate how easy they are to use. My response is: yeah, now get on your hands and knees, turn off half the lights and try to land a wire on them correctly.