Foxboro I/A 100 Series

kedarkg

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I found some discussion on Foxboro I/A series. I do not have experience in Foxboro DCS programming. Is there any recommendations or good website to learn it.
My second question is how to print the program from CP.( is it same like Allen Bradley, one can upload and see what program is)
Thank you in advance.
Kedarkg

I maintain a Foxboro I/A DCS, and may be able to help a little.

Couple of questions, what version of I/A, 4.3, 6.2 etc.... Which OS?
I cannot help with the Windoze version, all my stuff is Solaris based.

Does your system have a printer? If so you can print a Control Processor's configuration from the ICC (Integrated Control Configurator). If you don't have a printer, you can trick the built in print function to generate a flat file.
I do this all the time, and then run it through an excel file that sorts everything by block type, I can share if you like, send me a PM with your email address.

Are you using sequence blocks? The HLBL (higher level batch language) is compiled and the source code will be on the system somewhere with a *.s file format, there also may be header files, which have a *.h format.
HLBL is your basic structured text, it resembles Pascal with a little bit of C in for good measure. If you have a Solaris based system, you can also do very powerful things using shell scripts. You can do backups, configuration, call up displays, manipulate parameters etc... using the ICC driver calls from within a script.

There is a two volume reference for all the function blocks, commonly referred to as the "block books". Since your system is using legacy 100 series FBM's (Field Bus Modules, what Foxboro calls their I/O modules), it will be in the printed format, new systems have the reference on CD-ROM. They should be in 3-ring binders, about 5 inches thick. Read through this to get an idea of what each block can do, and what all the connections are. Also, you may have discrete FBM's that are running ladder logic within the module, this was/is used for high speed applications. If you do you will have PLB (programmable ladder blocks) in the ICC, you can view and edit the ladder from the ICC.

You also need to get a copy of the system managers reference, it explains what you need to do to maintain the system, syncing databases, uploads, savealls, etc....

There is an independent (not supported by Foxboro) user mailing list, you can sign up here: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/

It sort of functions like the forums, except members email problems and solutions. You can parse the archives from the mailing list here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

What part of SC are you located in, Upstate, Low Country, Piedmont? I might be able to walk you through the printing over the phone.

Migrating from standard ladder logic to I/A is a steep learning curve, took me about a year to get proficient. However, once you learn the system, it's great. Much easier to do complex logic on the DCS, than it is in a PLC. What takes a few minutes to do with Foxboro, takes hours with many, many lines of ladder to accomplish in a PLC. I use both every day, each system has pros and cons. DCS's work best for process control, PLC's for machine control. My system is a hybrid, the DCS and the PLC's are all connected, each doing a portion of the task, and passing information back and forth.

BTW, Foxboro offers training and support contracts, both are very expensive.
I can recommend a semi-local integrator, they are located north of Atlanta.

Last edited:
Scripting + unix commands VT100

Hellow

I am also a foxboro programmer. Now i've got 1 year experience. Programming in foxboro is not so difficult, but the scripting and the use of the VT100 is not so easy. Is it possible to help with this? Do you maybe have got tips or a file with the important unix commands in VT100 and how the scripting works?

Already thanks!!!

Frederik