Rockell PLCs summarized "for dummies"

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello.

I have a customer who has a 1769-L16ER-BB1B fw v 32.011 PLC. They use this to develop their own EtherNet/IP adapter, the development process for this EtherNet/IP device is very well advanced.

I need to provide them an easy selection guide for other Rockwell PLCs, which shows in a "for dummies"" format their PLC in comparison to other Rockwell PLCs (less capable and more capable), to figure out if there is something that is significantly better than what they have. The customer is even willing to consider ControlLogix if the performance with respect to ConpactLogix is significantly higher.

I cannot find a summarized table of Rockwell PLCs for selection. Does Rockwell have a knowledge base document freely available, or has somebody like a Rockwell distributor come up with something easy that lets see in a simple and comparative way the different options available?

Thanks.

Hello.

I have a customer who has a 1769-L16ER-BB1B fw v 32.011 PLC. They use this to develop their own EtherNet/IP adapter, the development process for this EtherNet/IP device is very well advanced.

I need to provide them an easy selection guide for other Rockwell PLCs, which shows in a "for dummies"" format their PLC in comparison to other Rockwell PLCs (less capable and more capable), to figure out if there is something that is significantly better than what they have. The customer is even willing to consider ControlLogix if the performance with respect to ConpactLogix is significantly higher.

I cannot find a summarized table of Rockwell PLCs for selection. Does Rockwell have a knowledge base document freely available, or has somebody like a Rockwell distributor come up with something easy that lets see in a simple and comparative way the different options available?

Thanks.

Here is a selection guide which might be of use: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf

Thanks very much. I find this information helpful.
Your customer should also be testing with a Guardlogix PLC. Though their adapter may not use CIP Safety, it will have to co-exist with CIP Safety devices. The Guardlogix's safety scan is of higher priority that the non-safe device scan. Years ago (mid 2000s when CIP Safety was introduced), I experienced some problems with adapters that could not co-exist with the safety scan.

If your customer is working with the ODVA then I may just preaching to the choir but its something to be aware of.