You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old December 2nd, 2021, 11:30 AM   #16
IanM8040
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post
I have to admit, I have done the practically the same, and with the same result (or worse), and with a similar famous-last-word-quote (mine too !).
Colleague: "are you sure that there is power supply".
Me: "yes power is on, look here" - putting the meter in AC volts mode and placing the meter leads on the input side of a circuit breaker. *** BOOM *** ears ringing, eyes blinded, the smell of burnt hair.

Since then I only use meters that have an integral alarm buzzer for when the leads are placed in the wrong sockets.
best thing i've ever done was always unplug my meter leads and store them in the pocket with the meter. it's a two fold win, not only do you avoid leaving them in a bad position, but you also save the leads from being wrapped around a meter and always having tight bends in the same spots every time, destroying the leads sooner.
Old December 2nd, 2021, 05:38 PM   #17
AutomationTechBrian
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

This is somewhat relevant for me, and the other independent Techs working for our company. Our company specializes in VFD installation, service, and repair, but my personal skills involve PLCs and other general automation equipment. Because I started getting lots of Allen Bradley PLC programming and troubleshooting jobs, we got a Tech Connect contract about a year and a half ago. Once in a great while, one of the other techs need an answer to a customer's high-level Powerflex VFD issue. So they would use my Tech Connect number to get access to better support. When Rockwell sent out the renewal notice this year, they said our support would no longer be applicable for our VFDs, and wanted a list of the VFDs we owned so they could re-price our contract. Well.... technically, that's zero. But we touch thousands of VFDs during the year, all makes. So we called our distributor, and they sent a note to Rockwell that our contract was for "Automation software only." So that kind of sucks. Hopefully this won't ever be an issue.

To me, this seems to be self-defeating for Rockwell VFD sales. I get GREAT tech support from other manufacturers. I even know a lot of the support guys by name... Yaskawa, Danfoss, ABB, Cutler-Hammer (Eaton), Schneider Electric, even Mitsubishi. I always ask their names, and thus have gotten to know quite a few of them. When a customer's drive needs to be replaced, and if it's not on a fieldbus connection, we will give our customers options. I discuss the strengths of each brand, and let them decide. I'm very honest with them. If you're selling VFDs, frustrating a guy like me makes zero sense. I install a lot of drives, and my customers respect my input.

But even though it's frustrating, I don't let it bother me too much. I play the cards that are dealt to me. If that's Rockwell's strategy, so be it. I will continue to use whatever makes sense for the specific job/customer, whether it's Rockwell, or any other mfg. It just changes the information I give to the customer before they make their choice.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 02:37 PM   #18
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

If you are an OEM or integrator I believe you can get a different support package from RA that doesn't involve counting how many PLC you got.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum