FTView, ActiveX, Database Interaction

Joshbooker

Hi I'm new here. A database guy tasked to work with my clients Rockwell guys to develop a UI for 2-way Database-to-FTView interaction. The UI needs to do standard db CRUD operations and then the data loaded into Tags.

I've seen VBA is used to do the latter, this post is more about the former.

UI database interactions in FTView: We need to do common things like ListBoxes, ComboBoxes, data grid, etc.

While I'm comfortable in VBA, I feel like using ActiveX controls & VBA is a step back to 1998 productivity-wise. I can get so much done more quickly using modern dev tools and I beginning to think FTView is not the place to do this part. Questions:

1) Does anyone have experience running say an HTML5 user interface inside the FTView HMI or outside and communicating (to instruct FTView to reload tags from db) using bits or polling or something?

2) If you're doing db interaction with ActiveX+VBA can you suggest a set of activeX controls that have built in data binding at least?

3) Alternatives?

TIA,
Josh