PLC to HMI Profibus setup ?

GTX

Hi

I am trying to setup a profibus connection between a Siemens S7-314-2DP plc and a Siemens TP170B touch panel. The PLC and touch panel are the only two things on the profibus network so i got a profibus cable made up with the terminating ends (with looping resistor or something like that)

I have never done a profibus connection before and i am wondering where i should start for this kind of setup ? What settings do i need to set in order for the two devices to communicate over profibus ?

Thanks for any help, and i am sorry for my profibus "newbie" type question.

Barry

Hello, GTX;
First, in Step 7 (HWConfig), attribute a Profibus address to the DP port, and set the speed parameters of the bus. Save and download.
Then open Protool (everything gets easier at this point if you have integrated Protool into Step 7); in your Protool project, open the Controller (PLC) section, click on Parameters, choose Profibus-DP as the link, and select the PLC with the correct Profibus address (if there are more than one in the project). Save and download.
This should have set-up the comms link. Connect the Profibus cable. Just add tags in a test page to test it out (in an integrated project, you have access to all symbolic addresse of your PLC tags from the Symbol editor).

Hope this helps,
Daniel chartier

Thanks for your help Daniel !!

Ok i did what you said and now i am getting a "SF" Fault LED (Hardware or Software Error) and a BF (Bus Error) LED.

I setup the HMI as the master with a bus speed of 187.5 and an address of 1. I setup the PLC to be a slave with a bus speed of 187.5 and an address of 2.

I haven't integrated Protool into step7.

Any ideas why the two units aren't talking ?

PS - I know the profibus cables works because it is from an existing working profibus system.

Hello GTX;

The SF and BF LEDs being active means you have a Profibus configuration error on your CPU.
Unless the TP170B is very different from all other Siemens panels (I've not programmed TP170B before, but I have worked with OP5, OP17, TP27, MP270B and MP370), there is no master-slave connection to be established between CPU and HMI. A Siemens panel (usually) is set-up as a Profibus Class 2 Master, not as a slave. A slave requires exchange data configuration, so that the same values are exchanged between master and slave at every Profibus cycle. A master class 2 only needs a connection (the Profibus address) and a token (from Profibus); when it has the token, it can read and write all the registers it needs from the CPu, without prior configuration.

Try the configuration I suggested before: no slave status anywhere. Set trhe CPu as DP-Master, with a valid Profibus address (standard is addrss 2); in Protool/PLC/Parameters, give your panel a Profibus address (standard is address 1 for HMI) and connect to the PLC on Profibus at address 2. If you need confirmation, look at (download from www4.ad.Siemens.de) the Protool and TP170B manuals to confirm.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I don't use Siemens panels much anymore, but back when I did, I remember that I had to first download the configuration over the serial port first. Otherwise, since the OP doesn't have dip switches, how can it possibly communicate with the PLC? How would it know what its own address is? GTX, have you already downloaded the program this way? Daniel, am I a couple of years behind on this now?

The speed sounds a litte bit like MPI not profibus ?
Have you checked that you have a profibus connection selected not MPI.
To get the panels online is one of the easiest things to do with siemens profibus.
Just make the PLC as master then goto Protool a select the master...
Download to both!! PLC and panel.
Connect the cables to the RIGHT connectors..
hope you get it working

b.r
Niklas

GTX
After download to both S7 and TP, can you "see" both S7 and TP on the DP network ?
I hope that one of the connectors has the extra port for a programming cable.
Do check the DIP Switch for IF1B, it can be set for "MPI/DP" or "RS422/RS485".

S7Guy
The network settings can be set on the panel via Win CE's Control Panel.

It works !!!

Daniel i did exactly what you said and it works perfect...i can't thank you enough !!

Thanks for everyones help !! :D

Hello

Hi

I am trying to setup a PROFIBUS DP connection between a Siemens S7-314C-2DP plc and a Siemens Multipanel MP270B. The PLC and touch panel are the only two things on the profibus DP network so i got a profibus cable made up with the terminating ends (with looping resistor or something like that)

I´m using SIMATIC Manager to create the project, i have configured the Hardware, and the Network using Netpro, in the SIMATIC Manager. I´m connected the CPU with the PC using an MPI interface and it works good,there is no problem with that. The problem is with my PROFIBUS DP Subnet, i have configured it and when i save and compile it, the SIMATIC doesn´t show me any errors. Then i load all the project to the PLC,but when i try to send data to the PLC using a button in the MP270B there is no change in the output.

I have configured the DP port of the PLC using the PLC as a Master and i have unchecked the option "Only master in the bus" in the WinCC connection configuration, so i suppose in that way i am using MP270B as slave.

I was wondering if also to to this, i need to load the SFC´s Function Blocks corresponding to DP Profibus (SFC12,SFC13,SFC58-59,etc) in my S7-300 program. Is this necessary when i am tryng to establish connection with a MP270B using Profibus DP?...or Are the functions only used in Profibus DP communication between PLC´s?

I have never done a profibus connection before and i am wondering, If i am right or what settings do i need to set in order for the two devices to communicate over profibus DP ?

Thanks for any help, and i am sorry for my profibus "newbie" type question.

Tom Van der Krotmann