CP5512 and TwinCat ?

adcoPLC

Hello,
I use the Siemens PCMCIA card CP5512 for programming of Siemens S7 PLC's. Now I'm working on a project with TwinCat from Beckhoff. Is it possible to use the CP5512 in TwinCat as Profibus Master ?
The System Manager in TwinCat does not automatically recognize the CP5512.
Is there a driver available to use the CP5512 in TwinCat ?

Many Thanks for any reply !

AdcoPLC

Hello adcoPLC;

I have a feeling you are going about this the wrong way. Here is what I mean:
The CP5512 is a PCMCIA card allowing a PC to connect to Profibus or MPI. As such, it is a conduit for data, neither a Master or a Slave. There must be something installed on the computer that will use the CP5512 to send Profibus requests (as a Master) or responses (as a Slave)over the bus.
For example, we used the Profibus-demo software (C routines that polled the slaves on the network) that came with the old CP5412-A2 card to make the computer a Profibus master and test the bus elements; on some occasions, I made HMI software (especially easy with WinCC) into a Profibus Master, polling the network through different CPs. Amprolizer (a {Profibus monitoring software from Siemens)is another example of software using CPs on a computer to connect to the network.
So, basically, you should not find a specific driver (or even gsd file) for the CP5512 in your TwinCat Profibus Configurator. You would probably have to setup some kind of Default Master system in the configurator symbolizing the software you plan to use as master (for which you would need to define bus parameters) and use it to connect to the TwinCat slave.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hi adcoPLC,

I'm afraid you're out of luck. As far as I know TWinCAT supports only CP5412 A2 (as long as Siemens Profibus cards are concerned).