Very basic question about serial ports in CLX

cardosocea

Hello,

I have an application where I will need to use the Serial port in a L55 CPU, and I can go about it in two ways, but both require me to make to make the following changes:

- Change the port use from system to user.

Or

- Change the System protocol Error Detection from BCC to CRC.

What I'm wondering is whether these require a controller reboot or which would do so I can avoid it as it's a large system and I don't fancy the headache of scheduling the work on non-productive time.

As I recall, the change will not require a reboot. The change is immediate when you click OK or Apply (sorry- cannot remember exact text on the button). If you are communicating with your processor via the serial port when you make the change, you will lose communication with it when you accept the changes. You will have to reconfigure the software comm parameters to match the processor's settings.

You can definitely make those changes at runtime without interrupting anything else.

MSG instructions or ASCII instructions currently using the port will error out, and as mentioned if you're online through the port you will have to reconfigure your driver.

But otherwise it will not interrupt the other functions of the controller.