HMI - Volume of irregular shaped Tank

tank https://imgur.com/gallery/jussP9m they provided me with a sounding table . from the table i observed that the tank has a smaller surface area till 33 inches from the bottom and after that its surfave area has increase

in the table i divided the volume in barrels by the level which was in feet and i found that till 33 inch the multiplier is 4.xx after 33 inches because the surface area has increased the multiplier is 6.xx

so basically i have two parts both are linear but the total volume is sum of these two parts

also the level sensor is batt float type and it has some hove kind of shape at the bottom it wont float as long as that part is under the liquid and it start pressing on the float so there is some dead volume both when it is at botton and at top

also i observed that float does not give 0 to 5 vdc but at bottom it reads -150 in INT in TIA

then the maximum it goes is till 113xx 11 thousand something

0 to 4.22 vdc they have to get a float which was a bit longer then what they needed they got it because the delivary time for the correct one was more than their schedule

Last edited:
By far the easiest way, if it can be achieved in your case, is to put the tank on load cells and measure weight. A simple calculation can then be done to convert the weight to volume, based on the density of the contents, and temperature.

It seems you have experience in this. Tell me, how would you justify the cost and upkeep of load cells (particularly if the tank is sitting outside) against a 2000£ instrument?

Particularly as the density may vary (either by process or by failure) which would involve either a flow meter or at least two pressure transducers to avoid doing a calculation.

Respective costs are always justifiable in terms of how accurate the client wants the figures.

However, from the post after yours, it seems that the use of load cells will not be possible ...