conductors passing over DIN rail

rpoet

Other than company spec and/or best practice, is there any code or standard (UL508A, etc...) violation if circuit conductors pass over DIN rail?

Example: Relay is mounted on DIN rail, and its socket has terminal screws on both sides. Wire duct is only on one side of relay. Can wires from the "other" side pass over the DIN rail and back into the wire duct?

Practically, I think we've all done it, especially in retrofit and repair situations. I have a colleague asking if there is a code/standard prohibition against doing so. I believe it looks sloppy and one should try to plan better especially in new panel builds, but it's sometimes unavoidable.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

rpoet

I’m not aware of any restrictions like that. UL508a does specify clearance for bending wires though. With small gauge and plenty of clearance it is a non issue most times.