Getting ready to purchase my first Scopemeter... any input before I pull the trigger?

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to spend some money (my own) before the end of the year, and it's about time I got a Scopemeter. I've been looking at the different options, and I think I'm getting the Fluke 125B. Any thoughts?

First and foremost, I'm a VFD tech. But I help many of my industrial customers with general automation troubleshooting and projects. This is my first scope, so I consider it both a tool and education investment. ...It's the next step beyond my Fluke 87V and various clamp-on amp meters.

A few questions
Are you an independent or doe toy work for a large company with deep pockets?
If you work the company then by all means spend the money but if you are paying for it give it some thought.
How much do you really think you will use it?
That’s a large investment to use once or twice and leave on the shelf.
I have been doing drives both `AC and DC since they first came out.
I have a very good 2 channel scope designed for field work this was before the new digital scopes came out. When I first got it I used it often but that was back when the drives were all analog and you could change the individual components. Now that the drives are all digital and cheaper it’s very rare that I repair a drive at all most times I opt to replace the drive over repair. With a replacement I get a warranty and new technology on the drive that I can never give if I repair it.
I don’t think I have used my scope on a job in about 15 years. I get it out every so often fire it up just to make sure it works then put it back on the shelf. For me to even consider repairs to a drive it would need to be at least over 50-75 hp even them I would replace modules not components. While it nice to be able to see the output wave form on a drive is it really worth it. with the new digital drives the all have built in diagnostics they almost troubleshoot themselves. Once you gain the experience you will lose it less and less. Now if you are working with analog , RF signals or instrumentation then one would be great value but for drives I don’t see it.
IF you do opt for the scope don’t forget to order the high voltage probes you will need them if you work on drives.
What I have found that is a better choice and I use it far more is a very good precision 4 -5 digital multi meter. With a good clamp on AC-DC current probe. When dealing with AC drives any meter you use must have a 1,000 VDC range don’t forget the DC buss on a 480V drive will be about 850 VDC or higher the spikes on the output cane be higher.
And a word of caution to all of us. In US we have a line voltage of 480V rectified buss voltage is 825VDC
Other use 575 line voltage that gives you a buss voltage of 987VDC
Our friends to the north use 600VAC line voltage, that would be a buss voltage of 1,030VDC
I don’t know if any of you have experienced a meter burn up in your hand. I have and I can tell you that makes you think about what you are working with. I managed to get rid of it and the only damage was a total loss of a $400 meter
I don’t mean to put down the use of a scope they have their place. I just wanted to give you something to think about.

I have found that a scope is one of those tools that you only use a few times a year if that. The problem is that if you need one you NEED one. I am a fan of the Fluke 124 Scopemeter. I just had a Fluke 123 stolen out of my truck and I replaced it with a used 124 that I bought off eBay. I paid $850 for it but it came in a hard case with all the test leads, charger, software and download cable. I think I got a good deal.

You may want to look at the used market.

This would be a major capex for once in a while use, I would suggest taking a look at Picotech.com, something like the pico2000 may be of some interest, it turns your laptop into a scope.

Steve

I know that I could continue without one and take care of my customers just fine. I'm 7 years into this job, and there have only been a few instances where I needed one. But... when I have an issue that is beyond my experience, I call one of my two senior techs and ask questions. They'll explain a concept, and I'll try to paint a mental picture of what is going on. All along, I'm wishing I could SEE the bus ripple, or the DV/DT reflections, or the harmonics, etc. I'm a very visual learner, and I can grasp a concept much faster if I can see what is happening. So part of this purchase is the education.

At first, I was trying to decide whether I needed a 4-channel, 190 series scope. I asked my senior tech what he thought, adding that I could buy either one. He said he's never had an instance where he needed more than his 2-channel Fluke 124. ...but he's very experienced, and "old school". That's not a bad thing, but I look at technology as a way to make the most of what I currently know.

I should add that my training is "Industrial Automation, Controls and Networking." My services go beyond VFDs for my smaller manufacturing customers. Most of the equipment I see is legacy. I'm always looking for a leg-up for troubleshooting. For instance, I've had an instance where seeing a Profibus signal quickly pointed to a physical issue in one of the many connectors. Like Bullzi said... when you need one, you really need one. The thing that caught my attention in the 125B is the communication "bus health" feature. It's mainly for legacy comms, but that's what I see.

And I should add... I remember Ken Roach discussing how he uses his 125B for comm troubleshooting. That's quite an endorsement right there.

I'm still open to hearing what others have to say, though. I don't like having regrets after spending that kind of money.