2007 chicago automation fair

I was there

We had a booth at the Fab Tech center. I walked across the street to see the Automation fair today. I think it would be better to have a booth at the automation fair. I was not impressed with Fab Tech.

The automation was not very big by McCormick place standards but the density of people was very high and Rockwell did a lot to make the place customer friendly. There was plenty of places to to sit down and get a free cup of coffee and relax. One can see all the displays in a couple of hours. I went to a seminar on direct drive which is is about high torque motors that do require gear boxes. I didn't learn anything new. It wasn't very technical. The most important thing to me is what Rockwell thinks is important.

I didn't really didn't see anything that amazed me. I did pick up from information about some 'new' control strategy from Cleveland State University about control using gyroscopes. I just looked and it is beyond the scope of the average engineer unless they are into motion and a lot of related math. It will require some study to see if it is good information. It is probably the most interesting thing I found during the whole trip.

I think my feet are killing me... I had booth duty and customer meetings since 7 AM and I just got back to the hotel. Time to join the good fellows from C.E.D at their hospitality event.

I learned quite a bit on new products, including the RA-branded Cisco Ethernet switch technology that's rolling out in the next year. I had a talk with the MicroLogix manager about the new controller his group is developing, and saw functioning prototypes of the three new smaller CompactLogix controllers.

The next-generation PowerFlex was a big deal for some drives customers who are doing complex drive applications, and the PowerFlex DC demo always had a crowd talking to the developers.

I am here to help my customers get the most out of the show; I'm introducing them to engineers and marketers and managers, and talking to them about equipment whose variety and volume I couldn't easily bring to their offices in the Northwest.

Tomorrow I'll spend more time at the Integrated Architecture and EtherNet/IP booths doing general duty.

Right now, though, I need fresh socks and cold beer.

I went to a couple technical classes which werent to technical in my opinion. I do agree though that it was set up nicely and thank god i ate early cause the line around noon was really bad.

Ken Roach said:
I think my feet are killing me... I had booth duty and customer meetings since 7 AM and I just got back to the hotel. Time to join the good fellows from C.E.D at their hospitality event.

I learned quite a bit on new products, including the RA-branded Cisco Ethernet switch technology that's rolling out in the next year. I had a talk with the MicroLogix manager about the new controller his group is developing, and saw functioning prototypes of the three new smaller CompactLogix controllers.

The next-generation PowerFlex was a big deal for some drives customers who are doing complex drive applications, and the PowerFlex DC demo always had a crowd talking to the developers.

I am here to help my customers get the most out of the show; I'm introducing them to engineers and marketers and managers, and talking to them about equipment whose variety and volume I couldn't easily bring to their offices in the Northwest.

Tomorrow I'll spend more time at the Integrated Architecture and EtherNet/IP booths doing general duty.

Right now, though, I need fresh socks and cold beer.

Damn, I wish I had read this post sooner. I would have been honoured to put a face to the name and shake your hand.

I have limited my internet use due to $9.95/day charge @ hotel and McCormick Place. I onlu found one free WiFi spot sponsored by Rockwell

Ken - great update topics. On this one I can only ask, why? Are Cisco switches not durable enough? Not expensive enough? What's the rationale?

Ken Roach said:
I learned quite a bit on new products, including the RA-branded Cisco Ethernet switch technology that's rolling out in the next year.

Ken Roach said:
I had a talk with the MicroLogix manager about the new controller his group is developing, and saw functioning prototypes of the three new smaller CompactLogix controllers.
I have heard rumors of this but never seen them or seen any specifications. Did anyone get any pictures or details?