google08

Is Tia portal v11 newer version of step 7 5.5 . I am just on

mine way to learn how step 7 5.5 work should i discard it and

learn the new program Tia portal v11?

What program u guys think its good to learn Win flexible,

WinCC step 7 or Tia portal or learn them all? its alot of

information about each program, should an automation enigneer

have to know them all?

Personally, as a SIMATIC user for 25+ years, I've learned not to adopt new application software from Siemens too early.

I'll be sticking with S7 V5.5 and various flavors of WinCC etc. until either TIA Portal gets another couple of SP's under its' belt or I'm forced there by hardware releases.

There are already HMI's on the market that are 'portal' only.

I think by this time next year Siemens will be 'gently persuading' their customer base to change to the new programming platform by making all new hardware portal only.

I've had a quick look at Portal and, while there are some improvements, I don't see it as any major leap forward. The screen is very cluttered with the WinCC Flex GUI that they seem to have based it all on. This isn't too bad on a PC but on a laptop (with a smaller screen) it's going to be less pleasant to use.

However, saying all that, it's easy to dismiss new products because they are new and unfamiliar. When I've delved a bit more into Portal and got a bit more confident it may be the best thing since sliced bread.

To the Original Poster, my advice would be to learn v5.5, WinCC Flex 2008. If you need to learn WinCC (i.e. the SCADA software) then do it, if not, then just leave that alone.

If you just jump straight in to learn Portal at this stage you may end up being a bit 'before your time' unless your place of work is very quick to adopt new technologies.

;-)