FactoryTalk View global object in a global object

colemaj1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have been using global objects and appreciate the amount of time they are saving me when developing HMI displays.

Is it possible to have a global object within a global object?

For example, I have a global menu banner that I include on each of my main displays which works fine. But what I'd like to do is have my actual menu items be global objects as well. That way if I change the look of one, it will populate to all.

I tried creating the global menu item, and I've tested it on a regular display fine, but when I drag it to my global menu banner, the menu item doesn't give me an option to define global parameters. The option is grayed out when I right click on it.

Is this permitted and I'm doing something wrong, or are nesting global objects not permitted at all?

I'm on FTV 9.0.

No, you can't nest global objects.
Only the top level group will be the global object.

When you copy/paste a global object inside the group of another global object, you just get a more complicated single global object.

Just create one global object for your banner and each menu item.
Copy/paste the banner and menu items that you need to each display. A little bit more work now, but from then on any changes to your menus items will populate out to all your displays.

No, you can't nest global objects.
Only the top level group will be the global object.

One quirk to this: you can copy a sub-group of a global object to a display screen and it will operate as its own global object (I understand that this is not what the OP is trying to do). You won't be able to use parameters on this sub-group though.

You can edit multiple objects at a time using the property panel.
For example if you have 10 buttons right click one button and open the property panel now hold down the control key and select the remaining buttons. Now when you make changes in the property panel it change all buttons. Also you can select the “state”you want to change.