OT (not for me)

I'm advanced open water certified, and have gone SCUBA with sharks in the immediate area plenty of times, including a week-long dive trip on the GBR (before it started dying, luckily). It's definitely something to adjust to, not being the apex predator at the table. They are beautiful creatures.

Just don't go swimming on the surface dressed up like a sea lion...I had a dive instructor tell me that sharks almost never attack a scuba diver who is below the surface. The few attacks that do occur are almost always a person on the surface whose shadow looks like food.

I have an employee that use to ask me to swim with him because he thought he could swim faster than me. He would surf and skin dive. I do neither. He just wanted me to the sacrificial anode incase a shark was around. If I were to dive in the ocean with sharks I would buy a striped wet suit so I looked poisonous instead of like a fat seal.

Apparently there are many that know what they are doing and feel safe being in the water with sharks. The trick in not let them be curious. In stead you must make it obvious you are not food.

The problem is some sharks are dumb and will try to eat you any way.

When my son in law was stationed on Oahu we dove all around that island. The first time we went in she said to me "remember Dad, when you step into the water you step off the top of the food chain".

I do understand that most of the time if you are not their normal food they will pass and not chew on you but... I have studied fish (its my passion) and its hard to get a fish to bite unless conditions and the right bait is in front of them, that said there is also a 'reaction bite' and I know some of the **** I toss out there in the water looks nothing like anything they eat and I do get fish

I would not want to see a reaction bite if im swimming near anything

Favorite Bill Burr skit:

"I'll never swim in the ocean. I'm scared of sharks. A buddy of mine has been trying to get me to go SCUBA with him. I told him no way, too scared of sharks. He said "Bill, come on. 99% of shark attacks happen right near the beach. I said, "Well yeah, no ****! That's where the people are!"

Back
Top Bottom