RedLion to A-B ControlLogix

2stepsforward

Hello all. Looking for some help & advice on part of a struggling project I've been roped into, the project has several process analysers utilising A-B ControlLogix PLCs for the analyser protection and sample system control. The PLCs Operate the sample supply & return valves and various other devices.

The challenge is that the analysers need to feed their data to two Modbus hosts, which also maintain a level of control over them, e.g. each Modbus host needs to be able to reset & restart the analyser if an issue causes it to 'trip' and close the supply & return valves.

The other requirement here is to data log info from the analysers to allow information to be retrieved later by engineers should a trip occur.

So the plan drawn up is to connect the ControlLogix via RedLion Data Station Pluses (plusi?) to split the data to its two paths and datalog. Though I have no real A-B knowledge I've used the Red Lion's before so am ok with them. The plan is to connect the Modbus devices to the RL via the 232-PG & RS232 ports, which means I'll need to use either 485 or Ethernet to link to the A-B. There is some uncertainty as to whether the A-B has space in its location for a comms card, so I looked to see whether you can get a ControlLogix CPU with an Ethernet port? I can't find one, though I can for CompactLogix. I'd prefer this method as I'm considering using the L5K driver as a different contractor will be programming the A-B and I'll then need to sort the link after the main programming is done.

The other question is what is your preferred method of linking an A-B ControlLogix to a Red Lion device? There seem to be many drivers listed on the RL site but some I'd have thought usable with a ControlLogix don't have it listed?