Compact logix ethernet connection problem

limsgp

Currently facing some problem with the 1796-L35E controller.. RSLinx can't communicate with the controller. Will appreciate any advise..

Basically, On initial setup, I use BootP to assign an IP address to the PLC, then disable the bootp.

Then, I open RSlinx and use the driver configuration to setup an Ethernet device driver and entered the IP of the PLC.

After that, I use RSlogix5000 to update the firmware and download a program into the PLC. All seems fine and no issue. Then the machine was switched off for the weekend.

However, Today, somehow, the RSlogix5000 is unable to communicate with the PLC. I open RSLinx and RSWho to test the connection and it just doesn't seems to connection. Basically, it kind of "hang".. the animated icon appears like trying to connect, but it remains in that state. It doesn't show a "X", and no error message like "Unrecognized device" etc.. but just appear like attempting to connect.

I tried to ping the IP of the PLC and there is a response.

I tried removing the driver and add a new one. but the result is the same.

I test the laptop with another machine using contrologix, no issue, can connect (different IP)

I test using cross LAN cable direct connect to the PLC, result is the same. got ping response but RSlinx cannot connect.

Anyone can help?

In summary

1. Ping the device, got response.

2. RSlinx can't communicate with the PLC. Under RSWho, Like always trying to connect. No "X" and no error message.

Thanks.

Under driver diagnostics, it shows

"device has accepted the Ethernet/IP connection"
"can't set port to 288: no harmony port for this IP address"

Appreciate any advise.. Thanks..

After you initially got it working, you have to disable boot ip. Without doing this it will default to whatever IP address it can find. Try to use BootP again and reset to your IP address. If that doesn't work you can always connect through the serial port.

I always try at least three steps to verify connectivity:

1. Ordinary ICMP PING
2. HTTP (use a web browser)
3. TCPing on TCP Port 44818

And only then do I start diagnosing RSLinx Classic.

It sounds to me like the Harmony files might have been corrupted.

Delete the Harmony.HRC and Harmony.RSH files in the \RSCommon directory and RSLinx Classic will rebuild them when you browse the network again.

I had similar problem with Micrologix and RSLinx...disabled the wireless on my laptop and it worked. I think Windows gets confused!

I always try at least three steps to verify connectivity:

1. Ordinary ICMP PING
2. HTTP (use a web browser)
3. TCPing on TCP Port 44818

And only then do I start diagnosing RSLinx Classic.

It sounds to me like the Harmony files might have been corrupted.

Delete the Harmony.HRC and Harmony.RSH files in the \RSCommon directory and RSLinx Classic will rebuild them when you browse the network again.

Thanks Ken. After searching and searching, saw your similar comment elsewhere in another thread. I didn't try it initially bcoz of worry that it might kill the RSlinx (other controllogix project is working fine). But decided to give it a go.. and it worked!

So I managed to solve the issue yesterday based on your advise with regards to the harmony files from another thread. Thanks!